𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Keira knew immediately that when she passed away, she was going straight to Tartarus.

After how she had once again toyed with Luke's feelings the previous night, there was no way she would be accepted into Elysium.

Some might think of her as a bad person, but the truth was, in Keira's eyes, she was just having fun. Gods, confusing Luke was so entertaining. At this point, she was sure he had already accepted that he desired her, but that wasn't enough.

Many guys at camp desired her. Many guys at school did too. But, as she had thought several times before, merely provoking that response in Luke wasn't sufficient. There was a long way to go, and she knew it.

As these thoughts crossed her mind, she glanced in the rearview mirror at Luke, who was sleeping peacefully in the back seat. She assumed that after their encounter on the balcony, he hadn't slept much that night.

She wasn't wrong.

A faint smile played on her lips as she pictured him on the balcony, alone, after she had gone back to sleep, gazing at the valley. She could envision him there, crafting scenarios in his mind where she kissed him and he responded, where he took the lead and she followed. She could sense his conflicting thoughts, wondering if it was okay to want her but not stand her at the same time. She imagined him reluctantly acknowledging the physical attraction he felt for her, and that filled her with pride.

Luke wasn't ugly. She had known that since the first day she saw him at camp, even though she had denied it to her friends just to be contrary. He wasn't the most handsome guy she had ever seen-that position was reserved, once again, for Apollo-but he was definitely not unpleasant. Physically, he attracted her, but Keira planned to use that attraction to her advantage, as she did with almost everything in life.

When he inevitably fell in love with her-which she was sure would happen-she wouldn't mind having a casual relationship with him, as she had done with George or Sebastian. While she would derive satisfaction and pleasure, he would develop an obsession, and his feelings for her would only deepen over time.

It was a win-win situation for her.

When Keira mentioned she wasn't open to a serious relationship, Jolene used to tell her that it was because she hadn't found the right person yet. Keira was starting to wonder if that right person might exist because, despite her many hook-ups, no one had ever stirred her enough to consider a committed relationship.

Luke didn't appear to be an exception. He lacked any distinctive qualities other than his sour mood and continual grievances about his life, making it unlikely for her to develop romantic feelings or seek anything more serious than a casual relationship with him.

"Would you like me to drive?" Jon asked, pulling her out of her thoughts from the passenger seat. She shook her head, not wanting to let go of the wheel.

"No, it's fine," she replied, then asked a question that had been lingering in her mind for days. "What do you think Hermaphroditus meant when he said that Manty didn't exactly lie to us when he told us that Nik was in San Francisco?"

Jon shrugged, his gaze fixed on the sunrise peeking over the east. "No fucking clue," he honestly replied. "But it seems important. Do you remember Manty's exact words?"

"The demigod currently sought desperately by gods and mortals," she replied without hesitation. She had memorized the words since that encounter, as if it were a poem. "Sounds like a big deal."

Jon nodded, agreeing.

"Maybe it wanted us to find Hermaphroditus there, although I don't know why Manty would help us. Once we find Nik and the knee, and return to camp, we can try to figure out why it said that."