𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

The next morning, Argus drove them to Manhattan in his van.

The giant hundred-eyed head of camp security didn't talk much on the way. Keira and Luke sat in the back seat, each absorbed in their thoughts. Keira stared out the window, lost in contemplation, formulating questions in her mind for when they reached Olympus. She wondered how many of them the gods would answer. 

How would Zeus respond to the revelation that his brother had been so desperate as to attempt to kill his children? Surely, the news they brought about Nik wouldn't ease the tension. It would be crucial to approach this conversation cautiously, as the sensitive nature of the topic could escalate tensions between them, potentially leading them to unleash their powers on those closest at hand, in this case, Keira and Luke.

At that moment, Luke found his mind filled with various concerns. The prospect of going to Olympus stirred discomfort within him. Part of him harbored a wish that Hermes wouldn't be there with them, sensing the encounter would be awkward, considering the years of mistreatment from his father. He questioned his ability to contain his anger, having endured years of neglect from Hermes. 

Yet, alongside this unease, a sense of curiosity lingered about seeing his father again. Despite the tumultuous events of their quest, the mere thought of encountering his father struck him with unparalleled fear, overshadowing all other worries.

As they crossed the East River, he stole a quick glance at Keira. She seemed engrossed in her thoughts as well. She had a determined and distant look, as if she weren't physically present in the van.

Since waking up, Luke had been eager to talk about the fight they had in the Hades sanctuary, but something in her eyes told him it wasn't the right time. He wanted to know if she regretted what she had done. It couldn't be possible that she had beaten him to a pulp, and just a few days later, they kissed as if nothing happened.

Again, the kiss.

Luke tried to push it out of his mind whenever he noticed he was thinking about it, but somehow the scene refused to leave his thoughts. He shook his head slightly, still with his eyes on her. She must have noticed because, despite her distant gaze out the side window, she curved her lips into her typical smirk. Turning to him with a slight tilt, she addressed him with a mocking tone.

"You know, kiddo, you also have a window on your side."

Luke felt a twinge of embarrassment when he realized she had detected his gaze, but he managed to keep his expression neutral, betraying no hint of emotion. It occurred to him that perhaps he was beginning to adopt some of her demeanor after spending so much time together.

"I prefer that side. The river looks better," he casually remarked.

"The view is amazing, isn't it?" she replied, still smiling with a double entendre. He played it cool and simply nodded without uttering a word.

They continued the journey to the Empire State in silence, none of the three speaking. Finally, when they arrived, Argus dropped them off at the entrance, mentioning he would wait outside to take them back to camp when they were done. They nodded and exited the car.

Luke wasn't sure what to do. He started to survey the buildings, steeling himself for the potential encounter with his father. Fortunately, Keira exited the car after him and strode purposefully toward the Empire State, passing by him without a word. The scent of sandalwood jolted him back to reality, and he trailed behind her, observing her resolute stride toward the building.

Keira entered through the lobby doors and approached the security guard with determination. He raised his eyebrows as he observed her advance, while Luke nonchalantly followed, hands casually tucked into his pockets.