𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Keira was straightening out the clothes scattered on the bed while Rosie, her roommate, finished showering.

After putting everything in its place, Keira grabbed her cigarettes and lighter from the bedside table and tucked them into the pocket of her black skirt. California Military School's uniform consisted of a black skirt ending above the kness, adorned with a black and gold belt, a white collared shirt, and over it, a black jacket with gold details that added an air of formality and elegance. Keira took off the jacket and stored it with the rest of her clothes, just as Rosie emerged from the bathroom.

"Where you off to? It's like, almost 11 pm," inquired her red-haired roommate, intrigued to see Keira getting ready to go out.

Rosie knew the question was somewhat nonsensical. Every time her roommate slipped away at such late hours, far more frequently than anyone could fathom, Keira remained tight-lipped about her destination.

In the institute, Keira stood out as a somewhat unconventional figure among the majority of students. Just like at Camp Half-Blood, Keira was extremely popular in the institute, but in a somewhat stranger way. While at camp, everyone looked at her with admiration, at school, terror prevailed. Keira didn't have close friends at school like Nik or Jon. Instead, she had what she called "strategic connections."

The truth was that most students at school held a certain respect or fear for Keira, treating her with particular care. She excelled in every subject, her sharpness and strategic prowess setting her apart. Additionally, due to her strong connection to the divine realm, she had unwittingly attracted monsters to the school on numerous occasions. Only the gods knew what the other students perceived through the Mist, but it was clear they had witnessed Keira perform all sorts of feats. This had earned her the respect of everyone.

"None of your business," the blonde shot back, "just stepping out for a smoke. Be back in a sec." she lied. Rosie shrugged and took control of the TV remote, ready to watch her favorite show.

Keira left the room and found the hallways deserted, as usual at that time. The building was old but well-maintained, with high ceilings and dark walls, portraits of highly regarded military figures decorating the corridors.

As she had done on many occasions, she turned down the first hallway to the left, climbed the long stairs leading to the upper floor, where the highest galleries of the building were located. On one side, the hallway had many doors leading to different rooms and halls, while on the other, it was open to the outdoors, revealing the city lights below. Immediately, she felt a cool breeze coming from the open part of the corridor, befitting December - at that moment, she wished she had brought her jacket, although she wouldn't go back for it. For a second, she leaned her elbows on the railing as she gazed at the lights of San Diego in the distance, their reflection giving her clear eyes a special gleam. A familiar voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"What's up sneaking around past curfew?" a boy her age asked with a grin. He was tall, muscular, with incredibly dark hair and eyes of the same color, almost black. His features were extremely harmonious, one of the most beautiful faces Keira had seen in her life - and that meant a lot as she had been fortunate enough to meet Apollo.

"Just waiting for some idiot who's always fashionably late, Tyler." she remarked with a playful smile that matched his.

Sebastian Tyler was the typical heartthrob of the school, and even though most girls ended up shattered after getting involved with him, Keira found a good dynamic in her casual relationship with him. The guy was chill, fun, and laidback, qualities Keira found attractive. But, most importantly, they were on the same wavelength. Sebastian, like Keira, wasn't looking for anything serious in a relationship, just some good times. As a result, they ignored each other during the times they weren't alone. Keira was sure he wouldn't get too clingy or push for dates and he felt the same way about her. Since almost a year, this kind of relationship between them seemed to work fine.