𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The trio struggled to comprehend the situation as they confronted Nik in the dark cave.

Their minds raced, attempting to make sense of the connection between Nik's kidnapping, his seemingly good mood, and his ironic comment towards them. The cyan drops of moisture from the ceiling echoed as they struck the floor, blending with the sound of rain and the cascading waterfall outside.

"How the fuck aren't you in danger?" Keira slid in after a few contemplative seconds, frowning. "Jon got a quest for this, you and the prophecy-"

"Is this the best Athena can do?" Nik commented, with an uncharacteristic mocking tone, and even more so to refer to Keira. "Your mommy would be so disappointed."

"What's going on with you, man?" Jon suddenly asked, seeming to have remembered how to speak. Nik just laughed, a sinister chuckle that intensified the sense that something was wrong for Hermes' son.

"I woke up. That's what's going on with me," stated Nik, walking back and forth in the dark cave, wielding his sword. He spoke with a touch of arrogance they had never heard from him before, as if he knew things the rest of them didn't. "Since this guy," he commented, pointing his sword at Luke, who furrowed his brow at being suddenly singled out, "and his little friends arrived at camp. Well, one of them didn't really make it," he chuckled softly. "Whatever, ever since Pine Tree came into the picture, things have gotten tougher for demigods. Obviously, you wouldn't know because you're stuck in your little bubble at that stupid camp all summer, but I have contacts on the streets, and believe me, everything has gotten drastically worse."

"What does Luke have to do with all this?" Jon asked, activating his alarm senses. It was difficult for them to see Nik speaking like this and take it as a potential threat, but even though their brains couldn't process it, it was happening.

"Everything!" exclaimed Nik, and his face contorted with anger as he uttered the words. Jon looked at him bewildered, trying to digest it. He turned to Luke again. "Absolutely everything. Your friend revolutionized the world of the gods. Your friend should have died, not turned into a pine tree," he explained, then shook his head. "But it's not her we're worried about now, no, no."

"Nik, what the fuck are you talking about?" Jon demanded, his eyebrows furrowed, his voice expressing his confusion.

"He works for Hades," Keira slid in, without averting her gaze from Nik, as if she were studying him, waiting for the right moment to strike.

"You seem to be starting to use those brain cells, courtesy of Mama Athena," responded the son of Hephaestus with a sinister and ironic smile. Keira replied with a steely gaze, transforming Shadowedge into a sword. "My loyalty lies with the Lord of the Dead."

"How could you-" Jon began, his bewilderment turning into evident anger in the moment. "We searched for you across the country! I took a quest for you! We traveled from San Fran-"

"Oh, Jon, darling, you're going to make me blush," he replied with a completely ironic gesture. Jon clenched his jaw in frustration, his eyes flashing with irritation.

Keira took a few steps forward into the cave, approaching Nik.

"Give us the Knee, and we'll spare your life. I know you have it," she demanded with an authoritative voice and a penetrating gaze. Luke and Jon couldn't help but feel admiration for the way she handled the situation, setting aside emotions, focusing on the important rather than letting her anger at Nik, which was undoubtedly much larger than she let on, take over. They seemed to have momentarily forgotten about the missing Knee. Nik chuckled.

"You're not in a position to make demands," he spat, opening his arms and gesturing around with his sword. "I've got Talos' Knee stashed away in a spot that'd give you a hard time finding. I have the support of Hades. You're exactly where I want you to be, far from that freaking camp. I brought you here. Everything is in my favor."