𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

The rest of the day unfolded in a tense manner for the three of them.

No one spoke much. Luke and Keira didn't even make eye contact. However, the worst indicator of all was Jon's mood. Truthfully, he had no more strength or will to keep insisting on improving their relationship.

He was somewhat disappointed in Keira, to tell the truth. The previous night, he had expressed his concern about Luke's attitude and made her promise not to worsen his overall discomfort. For a second, just a second, he thought she had understood and would do what was within her reach.

Clearly, he had been mistaken.

It was partly his fault for not having her swear by the River Styx. Would she have been willing to make such an oath? He didn't know, and he wasn't going to ask for it at the moment. But surely, had they sealed the promise with something stronger, she would have thought twice before threatening Luke as she had that morning.

However, Luke had also responded rudely for no apparent reason. There were many things that didn't add up for Jon. When Keira threw her ironic and irritating comments about Luke, he usually responded with more sarcasm or ignored her. However, that day was different. It was as if Luke was more offended by her than usual. It seemed odd that he fell asleep instead of taking his guard shift, and before the argument, Jon also noticed that Luke was avoiding looking at Keira too much.

Sure, he often distanced himself from her when he couldn't stand her, but this was strange. Luke had distanced himself before she said anything. She could have even been more mocking when he overslept. Jon assumed that his brother was already fed up with her, all the accumulated situations they had experienced during the quest.

As the sun began to set, it started pouring rain. They had no choice but to seek shelter in one of the canyon's caves, far enough from the risk of flooding to set up the tent safely.

They found a fairly deep, dark cave that could serve as a refuge. While setting up the tent, none of them spoke as they had throughout the day. Everyone was frustrated: the weather, the lack of news from Nik, the heated atmosphere after Luke and Keira's fight. As they finished adjusting the tent, Jon heard a strange noise coming from the back of the cave.

He was surprised because when they had decided to set up camp, they had checked, and there was nothing and no one in the cave. But the feeling that something—a monster possibly—was watching them was strong. Keira and Luke must have heard something too, despite the rain noise, as they were showing concern on their faces, similar to his expression.

A lightning bolt at that moment jolted them from their thoughts, momentarily illuminating the cave, which was otherwise lit only by a flickering campfire they had kindled. The ensuing sound was thunderous.

"Must've been the rain," Jon said softly, noticing that the other two were silently questioning the previous noise.

Keira seemed not to hear his words, or at the very least, she didn't believe them. Swiftly, she reached into her pocket and pulled out Shadowedge, unsheathing it. The celestial bronze sword glinted, and the fire cast a unique glow on her face, her clear eyes reflecting the light in a peculiar way.

Luke detested agreeing with her, but he also didn't trust Jon's soothing words when there seemed to be a potential threat. Slowly, he drew his sword as well.

The lightning had left an eerie afterglow in the cave, revealing the uneven walls and the shadows that danced with the campfire's glow. The rain continued its rhythmic tap on the cave entrance, adding to the suspense that hung in the air.

Keira shot a serious glance at the other two, as if signaling her intent. They nodded slowly, ready to support her as she advanced toward the cave's depths. Jon cautiously pulled out his bow, attempting to make minimal noise, though he knew if there was a monster in the depths, it was already aware of their presence.