𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

The next day, the weather didn't improve.

Jon, Luke, and Keira found themselves walking through the Park, searching for clues in the midst of a torrential rain. In normal circumstances, they might have waited for the weather to clear, but the three demigods had the sense that the rain wasn't going to stop, and they had already lost too much time that could be crucial in finding Nik and Talos's Knee.

None of the three spoke much. Partly because the altercation between Luke and Keira, which had escalated during the night -though Jon was unaware of it- kept the atmosphere tense. Additionally, none of the three had the strength to articulate sentences, and above all, because nothing was happening.

That's what frustrated the three demigods. There weren't even any clues, beyond Alecto's words from the previous day. They were adrift, under the rain, in weather that seemed unrelenting, hoping to find their friend with no proof or evidence other than Hermaphroditus' word that Nik was there.

The rain persisted as the trio walked together through the National Park, an unspoken agreement pushing them to set aside their differences momentarily for the sake of the quest. Even Keira and Luke had decided to avoid fighting, at least temporarily, to make better use of the time they had left. However, they remained in silence. Each step through the mud-laden ground was a struggle, mirroring the internal turmoil within each demigod.

Luke couldn't shake the disdain he harbored for Keira. Her cryptic words and elusive demeanor only fueled his frustration. He walked with a brooding intensity, eyes scanning the surroundings for any sign of danger. However, in his mind, the conversation from the previous night with Keira while Jon slept replayed.

He recalled his anger when he had confronted her with words he had long suppressed, and her indifference as she had listened. He couldn't shake the memory of how effortlessly she had redirected the conversation, delving into profound matters and once again unveiling his deepest insecurities and thoughts. The special gleam in Keira's gray eyes when she had spoken about power lingered in his mind, and reluctantly, he had to admit that the intensity with which she addressed those topics was undeniably attractive to him. Yet, it was exhausting how easily she could read people, especially him, and her words evidently continued to echo in his head. Luke found himself unable to escape contemplation of the connections between power and obedience—a persistent thought that had refused to leave his mind.

Keira, on the other hand, walked with the same resolution and determination as always. Occasionally, she glanced sideways at Luke as he forrowed his brow or shook his head slowly, and immediately she knew he was reflecting on the conversation they had the previous night. She smirked, as knowing that her words had the power to leave him pensive for so long filled her with pride.

However, as she walked, her mind occupied itself with more pressing matters at the moment. The quest had taken an unexpected turn, and the pieces of the puzzle didn't quite fit together. Hades' interest in Nik, the enigmatic connection to Luke, and the involvement of the Furies all added layers to an already complex situation. Her mind worked like a labyrinth, exploring various possibilities and potential outcomes. Amidst the rain-soaked trees, she sought answers that remained elusive.

Jon, the mediator in this uneasy alliance, wrestled with the responsibility of holding the group together. His focus shifted from one demigod to the other, sensing the tension that crackled in the air. The quest was proving to be much more challenging than he had expected, and partly it was due to the companions he had chosen.

But what had been his mistake? Clearly, Luke had to be chosen since he was in the camp with him when Nik's disappearance occurred, and he couldn't exclude him from the group, being his half-brother. Additionally, in a short time of training, Luke had demonstrated to be a very skilled swordsman, and among the options available at Camp Half-Blood during the winter, he was one of the best choices he could make.