XXIX. midwest dad

god if you had told me 6 months ago that we'd get four swingsduo streams in one week i would have so believed you, but if you told me 3 months ago i'd cry

NEW ERA OF IRIS AND TOMMY??? RENAISSANCE TRULY

god i know that they probably were still best friends off screen but i'm so relieved iris and tommy are still friends and still streaming together

they SO had a messy breakup and got back together

you can't even SEE iris in any of these streams but the way tommy looks at her is so ahhhh i'm obsessed with them

good 4 u comes out in 4 days and i cannot WAIT to prove all my friends wrong

iris and tommy have been so happy lately like, she's been speaking up more they're soulmates your honour/p

guys we KNOW minecrafters music can be good listen to james, iris is gonna KILL it

maybe all the comments on twitter would have made her flustered, but she hadn't been on socials much. no, her saturday nights previously spent endlessly scrolling, desperate for anyone and everyone's opinions on her. now, she was on her couch with her head in tommy's lap and her feet in ranboo's, the three of them watching the devil wears prada. it had taken some convincing on iris's part, but eventually the other two gave in, really just content to see her so happy.

iris was so enthralled with watching anne hathaway's shitty boyfriend be shitty that she almost didn't notice ranboo standing up. "alright, i'm wrecked. i'm gonna hit the hay."

"you didn't slap your knees when you got up," iris noted. "that's not very midwest dad of you, ran."

ranboo huffed, slapping their thighs. "welp! i'd better skedaddle, you kids be good now," he ruffled tommy's hair as he walked past. "that better?"

"yes, that's fine," tommy shoved them off. "goodnight."

"sleep tight!" iris called.

they let the movie play out in silence, tommy's hands delicately twirling a strans of iris's hair as they watched anne hathaway get back together with her shitty boyfriend. as the credits rolled, iris made no effort to move. "you okay?"

"thank you for coming over," iris said. "i really appreciate you."

"you should," tommy stretched. "that movie was really something."

"no but seriously." iris sat up, pulling her legs so they were tucked underneath her. "thank you for like, waiting, and not trying to rush anything i know it's stupid."

tommy shook his head emphatically, reaching for her hand. she let him. "anyone who tells you that's stupid needs to be punched in the face." iris started laughing, and he continued. "for real! only wankers and idiots think like that, and you are neither a wanker nor an idiot."

"depends on who you ask."

"well, you're asking me and i say you're not so there," he stuck his tongue out at her.

iris wrinkled her nose. "what are you, four?"

"you're the weirdo, then." tommy pushed her. "you have a crush on a four year old."

"don't say crush!" iris shook her head. "we're not twelve."

"i'm four apparently."

"this is the worst bit that's ever been created." iris groaned and let her head rest against the couch.

tommy laughed and mirrored her, keeping his blue eyes locked onto her dark brown ones. "how have you been lately? i know we've been hanging out a lot, and you seem a lot happier, but i just kinda wanted to make sure we were communicating and everything."

she let out a puff of air, eyes drifting to the ceiling in thought. "i'm okay," she said decidedly after a moment. "i still like you, if that's what you're worried about."

a grin broke out on tommy's face. "i mean... i was a little nervous that you we're going to say you'd moved on and realised you did not in fact like me, so that does make me feel a little better, i will admit. but i was mostly just thinking about you."

"i'm okay," she said again. "really. i, uh, admitted my dark secret to my friends from class. that i had a song coming out and that i already had a sort of... dubiously earned online presence, and they were actually all really cool about it? i don't know why, but i had this stupid, like, vision of them finding out and realising that my whole thing is lame or whatever. but with that and school and working with james i've been handling it a lot better than i was before... everything." she squeezed his hand again and the two of them moved almost imperceptibly closer. "really. i think i honestly just needed to get off letterboxd and go outside."

"don't we all." tommy nodded wistfully. "so, to conclude this week's meeting, you're very happy and we still like each other."

"right, yes." iris nodded too, a very professional looking frown on her face. "so, moving forward, i think i'll be ready soon to take further steps towards an actual romantic relationship."

"that's a very fucked up thing to say to your employee." tommy broke character. "your four-slash-twelve year old employee."

she shoved him away. "i was wrong, this is the worst bit you've ever done."

"well, you just admitted that you wanted to kiss me at some point so nothing you say can hurt me."

AUTHOR'S NOTE
hiii!! i start my last year of college next week and i am: scared, so i'm distracting myself from the passage of time by writing for my babies. my four-slash-twelve year old babies. i'm sorry.