viii. cabin seven

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

── cabin seven

          𝕮abin Seven wasn't as Aurora had expected. She knew her dad, knew what he was like and how he acted with things so was certain that his cabin was going to look like someone had thrown up pure gold in it. But it wasn't like that.

It smelled of sage and clean linen, comforting and soft if that made any sense

There were bunks lining the walls, and a separate door at the back to the infirmary for the injured and for the healers in the cabin to help them quickly and easily. A bookshelf lined the back wall full of notes from previous children of Apollo, sketches and healing incantations, music chords and even stickers on who the best current singers were.

"Sorry about that." Lee yanked down the one which had her name on it, smiling wryly. Aurora chuckled at the boy's nervous grin. He was really like dad.

"Hi. You must be Aurora." Aurora turned, finding an older eighteen year old girl walking in, silky dark hair piled onto her head and a pencil through it. "I'm Aruna. I'm the cabin councillor for the Apollo cabin. Have you found a bed?"

"I put it down by one of the free ones."

"Good, good. I hope Luke showed you around camp well enough. I've heard your quite the skilled archer." Aruna continued, putting a kit down on one of the beds near to the centre of the cabin. It was freshly made, and there were pictures pinned on the wall around it, along with dried flowers and a little plant growing on the window sill to the right of it.

"Hopefully?" Aurora grew silent as Aruna laughed.

"Not like dad in the humble thing I take it." Aruna chuckled. "No issue. We know you've got the music genes, so we'll test you for the healing and then get you settled in a role."

"A role?"

"There's quite a lot of us, if you hadn't noticed. We're the second largest cabin at camp, after Hermes that is, cause dad likes to sleep around a fair bit." Aurora giggled at Aruna's words as the smaller teenager also laughed. "Because we're such a large cabin, we split into three sectors. So healing, which I'm a part of, archery and combat and then we have a musical section that will do all the singalongs, help with the Hephaestus cabin for July fireworks, end of year production. That sort of thing. Means that everyone is important in their sector and in their role but you can help with other things too. You're not confined to one but you just have more of a role in your sector. Make sense?"

"Kind of?" Aurora tried to take it all in as Aruna shook her head.

"No matter, you'll get the hang of it more later."

"Well, wouldn't it just be easier to put me in music. It's kind of what I'm known for?"

"Yeah but maybe you're in music because singing and magical healing isn't an acceptable hospital practice." Aruna pointed out. "We don't want to judge, so we'll give you a rundown in healing and then we'll place you."