xviii. quiet conversations

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

── quiet conversations

           𝕿he woods seemed to go quiet at Luke's words. No one was present, the wind stopped rustling through the trees and the birds went quiet. It seemed, against all else, that they were just alone.

Aurora brought her hands up to wrap around herself, watching Luke cautiously. She didn't know what to do. Did she speak first or did he? Was she supposed to do anything in this situation?

"Can we talk?" Luke's hands were stuffed deep into his pockets, hoodie slung over his Camp shirt and eyes watching her every move cautiously through his fringe.

"You're not giving me much choice." Aurora muttered. "I don't think we need to speak, Luke."

"Well obviously we do, because you're avoiding me and have been for weeks now. That's not fair on me." Aurora's eyebrows furrowed at Luke's words. Not fair on him? Not fair on him? What was that supposed to mean? "I just want to know why? What have I done? I miss my friend."

The word hurt her, but Aurora was aware enough to know that she was somewhat to blame for most of this understanding. That didn't mean he had to go and get with a different girl a week after she'd said it, but she should have probably filtered her words.

Gods, Aruna would have been proud of her for being this mature.

"Look, Luke, it's fine, alright?" Aurora shook her head, not wanting to continue this conversation any further than they already had. "Just leave it alone."

"I'm not going to do that. What did I do?"

"Luke-"

"What? What have I done?" Luke stopped her, standing over her, eyes narrowed. "Tell me what I've done!"

"What do you think, Luke?" Aurora placed her hand on his chest, shoving him backwards when he got too far into her personal space. "Have a guess. Have a think."

She spat the words out, her own eyes narrowing as she began to grow defensive and go on the attack. She didn't like it when people were shouting down at her for answers that she didn't want to give. It just reminded her of being stalked by photographers and reporters, who had been doing that since she was only around 13. 

"I don't know that's why I'm asking you!" Luke spat back. "You disappeared for three weeks and then came back and didn't speak to me again!"

"Are you-" She was starting to wonder if this man was completely and utterly dumb. Did he honestly have no perception? "Are you being serious right now? You haven't thought to yourself, hmm, what might have happened in that time that Aurora isn't speaking to me?"