xv. fathers

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

── fathers

          𝕮heers surrounded Aurora as she watched her album go live at midnight of October 16th. People patted her on the back, celebrated with her and Aurora kept the same, small smile on her face throughout it all.

It was great, and she loved that her album was now live for people to listen to and enjoy, but she wanted her siblings here, and her dad, and part of her wanted Luke there too. She wanted the people she got along with around her. She wanted her family there.

She just wanted her dad really.

"It's live. Congratulations!" There were so many calls and compliments, people patting her on the back and taking photographs of her. They were smiling and laughing, cheering for her as Aurora forced a smile and thanked every one of them for coming.

As soon as she could, she slipped out of the room, disappearing to a hidden corner where she could find something to reflect the light and water to make an Iris message. Grabbing a drachma, she tossed it in.

"Oh Iris, goddess of the rainbow. Please accept this offering and show me Apollo." Aurora whispered.

The mist shimmered for a moment, before her dad's familiar face appeared. He was dressed in his white robes, blond hair a mess and a troublemaking grin plastered across his face. He softened when he saw her, his smile growing warmer.

"Hi poppet." 

"Hi dad." Aurora smiled gently. She knew that having favourite parents was wrong, but her dad was by far her favourite of her parents. And it felt shit, because she knew that him spending time with her was taking him away from her other siblings.

"I hear congratulations are in order." He grinned.

"You helped make the album, you know that it's out today."

"I know, but can't a dad be proud of his daughter for her achievements." Apollo chuckled as Aurora lips pulled down, feeling the need to cry at his words. "I've left you a gift at home and your favourite food for when you get back after this. I would say that I also made it, but I think you know how bad I am at cooking, so let's pretend I made it."

She wanted to laugh, knowing that her dad was a terrible cook, but instead tears welled up in her eyes. Aurora wanted her dad there more than anything but at the same time, she didn't want him to see her as often because it was unfair on everyone else.

"Hey, hey, poppet. Come on now, what's the matter?" Aurora shook her head, crying more at her dad's soft tone. The mist stopped, the Iris call dropping as Aurora sank back and dug the ball of her fist into her eyes to stop herself from crying. She didn't know why she was crying or why she felt so shit. Possibly it was a combination of everything that happened, seeing Luke and his new girlfriend constantly around camp, and this ever present feeling that she was taking Apollo away from his other children because she couldn't do anything on her own.