27 || Sabotage

Power Trip - J. Cole

𓆩♡𓆪
Evie

Heartache.

It's something I've never felt, though, I've watched many go through.

I saw it on my dad's face when my Oma died. I saw it on my mom's face when her best friend got into a fatal car accident a few years back.

My Oma was everything to my father. Everything to me. She was at all of my competitions, never missed one even if she came down with something.

And Ingrid, my mom's best friend, was like a second mother to me. She never had any kids so she treated me like her own.

I remember going to her wedding ceremony in Tahiti as a bridesmaid, after months and months of pleading of course. Shortly after, I couldn't bear being at her funeral.

So I guess one could say I've felt heartache, but I never looked like either of them.

My mom was wrecked for a few weeks, and my dad wasn't much better when they heard the news of their loved ones dying.

Of course I felt destroyed, but I had to be there for my parents. It was only right.

But as I stare at the post on my phone, seeing that the US Olympic Team has been chosen for figure skating, I feel something partial to that.

Because at least one of the pairs there should've been me and Braden. Me and Braden. It was supposed to be us, not all of them.

And now knowing that neither of us get that chance, it just makes me feel like it was all for nothing. The training, the early morning practices, the late nights at the rink trying to perfect everything.

It was all for nothing.

Because Braden and I didn't get the spot. Stella and him didn't either.

So I feel awful for him, but pure anger at Stella.

Why? I'm not sure.

Maybe it's because she was the one girl I didn't want to take my spot, but the only one that could.

Maybe it's because this was my last chance at something like this, and it was stripped away within an instant. All because of a stupid broken blade and my faulty stubbornness.

It's not easy to bear the plummet in my chest and the sharp swallow I force down soon after, and it's especially not easy to be seeing all of this while standing in said arena.

Right by the rink I spent all those hours training, practicing, perfecting.

But I'm not here to reopen the wound by watching skating practice. I was called here on other matters.

The one that specifically landed me a spot in a house with four hockey loving best friends. 

So I tear myself away from staring at the ice and walk to my uncle's office. His walls are covered in awards and accolades. I mean, it's pretty amazing how decorated he is as a coach for this school.

27 years is a long time. 11 NCAA titles seems more than enough for a career, but when he came to me earlier this year, I knew he wanted one more.

"You know twelve is my lucky number Evie, it's only right." My uncle jokes as he leans back in his chair behind his desk.

"Might be right, but a little cocky. Don't ya think?" I bring my leg up to my chest and get comfortable in the chair I sit in across from him.

He just shrugs and we catch up a little bit. Some family things, some favor-related things. Our chat spans for quite a while until we finally get to the main point.