32 || Bluff

a/n - I recommend having the song on a loop for the whole chapter😘

Close - Nick Jonas
𓆩♡𓆪
Evie

Distracted.

That's what I had been for the last week of my life. Between catching up on all the work I left alone to the post being made and deleted, I clearly hadn't had my priorities straight.

I strived for academic validation from my parents. Perfection wasn't really a thought, it was just what I did. But as I got older, my work got harder, and I found myself striving for 90's instead of 100's.

And suddenly I've let myself slip.

Scrolling through my phone I look at my grades and go lightheaded.

I didn't like seeing all of them start with the number 8, some even with 7. All it took were a few bad test grades and a complete distraction for everything to get messed up.

I wanted my 90's back. But with the semester ending in a month and tests coming up before Thanksgiving break, I didn't really know how I was going to make a comeback.

And tonight I'm not doing myself any good academically by going out to play poker with a bunch of guys and their armpieces. Socially, what I'm doing is acceptable. I have to reconnect with people somehow after everything.

Speaking of which, I think most of the campus has forgotten about it. And if they haven't forgotten they sure as hell don't care as much as they did at the start of the week.

"Hey, hey, no." Reese snatches my phone from out of my hands. "No moping over your grades Evie. It's the weekend for Christ's sake. And you're going out."

"Without you," I point out.

"You don't need me to go." she claims. "You have your boyfriend, who you won't let me call your boyfriend, so I guess I'll just have to use his actual name. Alex."

The word boyfriend sits heavy on my chest. A word so full of commitment, loyalty, truth. Some things I either don't do or am not ready for.

"Because he's not my boyfriend Reese," I reason. Turning to her, my face contrasts the smile on hers. "We're not...there yet. I mean, did you and Xavier kiss a few times and just decide to date?"

"No, we went on a few dates. Which is exactly what you and Alex need to do." Reese tells me and hands me back my phone. "And although going out and playing poker with his teammates doesn't actually suffice...there's no harm in asking."

Anticipation builds at the thought but a certain emotion I've become familiar with dwells in my chest. "I can't."

My admission earns me a small laugh. "Well if you're scared he'll say no then the only person you're fooling is yourself."

I shrug at her point, "It's not that." I tell her. "It's just...right now is not a good time."

"What do you mean right now is not a good time? I think it's a great time," Reese hops up onto my bed, taking a seat next to me. "What's making you hesitate?"

I pause at her question. "It's not a what it's a who." I've contemplated for a long time now, whether or not I should bring it up. But as the days go on, things just seem to be getting more complicated for myself. "Remember my ex I told you about a while ago?"

Reese scoffs, "The asshole that left you and went to Europe? Yes."

I lean my back against the wall, preparing myself for the explanation I'm about to spew. "Well, that asshole is back. And I'm not exactly sure what to think, or rather, how to feel about it."