01.09.01

(Still the same outfit)

"All right. Im just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstances is." JJ says to John b.

"Your old man's an abusive liar." I state with a weird look on my face.

"I agree with JJ. Fuck the police." Pope says.

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kie asks.

"When's the last time the police ever helped us?"

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right? Tried to, at least." John b butts in. "They need to know." We all slightly nod and John b gets out of the car and into the police station.

Just then we see John b ruching out and yelling "Kie! Start the car! Start the car, Kie!" He jumps in.

"What? John b?" We all start yelling.

A police lady runs up to the side of the car as Kie starts the car and drives.

"What'd you do?!"

We get rid of the police and are all sitting in silence for a minute.

"So like what the fuck?" I say with a bit of smoke coming out of my mouth from the blunt.

***

'Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area..." I'm listening to the radio as we sit parked by an old shed and just then we hear sirens and all perk up. Two cop cars flies past us and we all relax.

'There has been yet another missing person alert out for Sydney Cameron, last seen with the suspect of the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—' Kie then has enough and switches off the radio.

"Hey, I'm a missing person." I laugh. I hate my dad sometimes.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John b, who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment." JJ says.

"Thanks." Johnb says.

"Shit." Pope whispers rubbing his forehead.

"Okay, man. Yucatán, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ says.

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah's gonna bail me out." Johnb states.

"Syd and Sarah did witness the whole thing." Kie states.

"Literally, like, I'm sitting right here too." I say.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asks.

"I don't know about her but I would." I state.

"Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off this island and gotta hide you." JJ says with some smoke coming out of his mouth cause he stole the blunt from me.

"The ferry. It's the only way." Pope says.

"Yeah. Exit stage left while you can. Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"Guys, just get down." Kie says cause we heard sirens coming this way. The cop car passes.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John b." Pope says to him.

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." JJ says.

"Wait, am I not a pogue too?" I ask looking around.

"You're one more then she is. Plus we've known you since forever." John b says turning around.

"You just left us for a little but you'll still always have us." Pope agrees.

"You're my best friend. Of course you're one of us." Kie says with a smile.

"Aw man. Really? She's a pogue?" JJ says disappointed.

"Don't be to excited." I roll my eyes.

"Of course I'm not excited. There's a rule of no Pogues macking on Pogues." He turns to look at me with a smirk. "But I'm not one to follow rules." He turns back around.

"Dude." John b gives him a look but it turns into a smile with him shaking his head.

***

We get to the ferry port and pope picks up two pieces of paper stapled to the board. "Shit." He whispered.

"What is it?" I ask walking over to him and he shows me one of the papers. It's a weren't for John b's arrest, prize $25,000. "Oh, shit."

"What's the other?" He hands it to me and it's a missing person poster of me also with $25,000 prize. What the fuck, dad. We look at each other for a second before going to show the rest.

"Okay. Okay. All right, no." Pope stammered.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kie asks from the passenger side window as we walk around the car to the driver window.

"So, um... okay, so, bad news."  Pops says so then I speak.

"The ferry's closed, and there's this." I say and pope gives Kie the paper then gets in the drivers seat.

"Shit." She whispers and hands it to JJ the paper. I get in the back with JJ and John b. I have to climb over JJ to get in the middle cause he didn't wanna be squished in between me and Johnb and I'm smaller. He used his hands onto guide my waist to get over his lap but I sit on his lap and turn to close the door.

"Stop." JJ whispers in my ear and I just smile scooting off him into the middle seat.

"What is this? What is it?" Johnb asks frantically.

"Well, Johnb, uh... this is a good framer of you." JJ says showing him the paper.

He sighs, looks at me and then looks back up at the roof of the car.

"Okay, so the whole island's lookin' for Johnb right now." Pops states the obvious.

"That's a lot of money." Kie points out.

"Congratulations, Johnb. You're famous." JJ says.

words 1008