CHAPTER 2-NATHAN

This was not supposed to happen. Life was finally starting to get better. Everything started to glow since Mary's pregnancy. Mom finally came out of her long-time depression. The company rose to its best. Mason was always euphoric. Dad finally started speaking about his concerns to us. Everything was finally starting to look better but now it isn't.

Now it's the same scenario but for the third time. Mason's lifelessly sitting on the floor. Mom is again deep in her sadness. Dad's quietly by her side holding her. I lean against the wall, gathering all my courage because this time I am going to be all alone. Last time I had Mason and Mason had Mary. We three held our broken family but Mary is gone now, I knew the moment I held her bleeding body, that she was gone. Mason and Mary were one. I just didn't lose my sister-in-law who was like my sister but also lost my brother along with her and now I am all alone.

I don't even want to begin imagining where to start from. I've seen this film before and I didn't like the ending. Just before I could think of anything, the machines in the ICU started making loud noises. The lines on the screen went straight and I've seen enough medical drama to know that's not good.

Mason immediately ran in holding Mary's body and crying.

Where the fuck are the doctors??

" DOCTOR! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING! WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DOCTOR!!??" I screamed and a nurse ran inside the room.

It was the worst minutes of my life. The nurse became breathless while doing the CPR. It went on and on for a few minutes. The doctor came in and they both exchanged their eyes, the look said it all. She wasn't gonna make it.

My heart crumpled at that moment. Ten years of our life was gonna become our memory. Mary gone, The baby gone. No idea? There was a fire building inside me. Rage that won't stop! The agony just keeps spreading. This overwhelming rush to scream and destroy the world won't stop.

Someone did this to us on purpose! Killed my sister-in-law, took my nephew, and broke our mended family. And whoever did this will pay in blood, agony, and even death won't be merciful for him!

" Mr. Wild, I need to talk to you." Doctor Vance said while sparing a glance over Mason who was crying holding Mary's hand.

I could feel this wasn't good. He was going to tell us the bad news we'd been threading since we sat in the ambulance.

" Carson! If you are done you can leave. There's something private that needed to be discussed" Doctor Vance said to the nurse but there was a sudden shift in the room. The nurse looked at Mary in a very strange way, as if she was slapped, her face turning pale to white. She lifted her sleeves to see her arm and physically flinched as her breath got labored.

" What's her name? Full maiden name" she asked but I could hear the fear in her voice and that was enough for me to know this was going down in a very different downfall. The nurse knew Mary, perhaps a friend.

I heard Mason look at her in confusion when the doctor said her name to leave.

" Miss Carson, you need to leave-" Doctor Vance said as even he must have sensed she might be Mary's acquaintance.

" Sh-she looks like my sister.. her name was Mary...I just.. what's her maiden name?" she pleaded and it was like a cold water slap straight to your face in the middle of New Year's Eve.

Mary's sister? She did talk a lot about her elder sister but they were long separated. This isn't going to be fine. Her sister looks on the verge of vomiting or breaking down. Her body had started shaking but I doubt she'd recognized it or felt it.

" Mary Carson, her name was Mary Carson.... Natalie'' Mason said and that's all it took for her to drop the things she was holding. She closed her eyes and tightly placed her hands on her mouth as she pressed herself against the wall.

I didn't know much about Mary's sister but with the way she sometimes spoke about her I knew about how much Mary adored her elder sister and they were separated before Mary joined high school. I can't even imagine the pain Ms. Carson would be feeling, seeing her sister for the first time after a decade...on a bed. This is just getting worse.

" Oh my god...Natalie.." Doctor Vance was taken back just like us and looked between us all. Not knowing what to do.

" Just leave for now. She needs some time " I said pointing to Ms. Carson and the doctor left.

Mason sat on the table beside the bed but his gaze was fixed on Ms. Carson who held her face so tightly I feared she would bruise it. She closed her eyes so tightly as if it is all just a nightmare that would go away. She didn't cry yet, but her whole frame shook. Minutes passed by until she stopped shaking.

I expected a devastated look but she took me by surprise when she opened her blood-red eyes full of anger-revenge.

" Who?" she asked while taking steps towards Mary.

" Who what?" I asked, my eyes fixed on her but my whole body on alert for what she was about to do.

" I heard this was an attempted murder. She was a target. What exactly happened and who did this?" she asked but her eyes were fixed on her sister.

" Hit and run...shot once to make sure she's...we don't know who did it yet", I told her, being careful to choose my words. I Don't think Mason is even processing anything now. He lost both his wife and son in one night.

" Did ...does she have any family left...in contact.. like to call? " she asked, unable to frame it.

" We haven't contacted her mother yet. I'll probably do it once we get any confirmed news from the doctor." I told her, glancing at Mason, who just sat lifeless.

" What about the baby? What happened?" she asked but her voice lacked anything. It was like a robot, void of any emotion and I replied to her in the same, void of emotion. Because being emotional isn't a choice I have right now.

" Kidnapped 2 hours ago. He was born about 4 hours ago. We are doing our best to find him." I told her as if we were discussing the weather.

" How long have you people known her?" she asked, her eyes still fixed on Mary.

" About a decade now, Mason and Mary started dating when they were fourteen years old in freshman year, and married when they were nineteen.", I told her.

" Was she happy?" she asked to which I nodded but soon realized that she couldn't see me.

" Very. She was very happy and made everyone around her happy. They were always in love." I told her to which she just nodded and just like that, she turned and walked out of the room.

I removed my eyes from the door and looked at Mason who held Mary's hand and rested his face against hers but he looked equally lifeless. Mom's probably somewhere outside with Dad after her panic attack. Natalie Carson....another person who's devastated.

I sat down and closed my eyes, trying my best not to break down. My Home was once again a house now. And no amount of millions and billions of money can bring back the people we've lost. And now once again I can't help but feel the utter feeling of shattered loneliness.

Once again thank you for reading another chapter. Your views on chapter and character is very much appreciated. thank you!! I promise the chapters will be longer as the book progress.