Chapter 1- New Beginnings

Faith Rivers watched the small stream move across its banks in her back garden. The light blue cottage she and her parents owned was small and cosy but not overly impressive. They lived a simple happy life in that cottage and as she watched the stream movements from the back porch, she only hoped she could go back to those simple happy days.

Faiths parents had been missing for one month today. She had just got off the phone with a gruff pub owner who had very honestly told her that her parents were most likely dead and that the news reports and calls with the Antarctic embassy were nothing more than legal protocol.

Faiths parents Jules and Mason were animal researchers and had been researching the waters of Antarctic for years. They had met in college on a research project and had Faith soon after. Jules had been living in rundown free student housing when she met Mason. She was from the wood river park and her father was a beta to the alpha Joseph Mooring. When Jules reached her sixteenth birthday and she didn't shift into her wolf her father had sent for ancient healers, medicine men and even witches to awaken the wolf in her. However after a year she decided to flee from the pack and the hurtful reminders of her friends and family who were embedded in pack life. She always said Mason was her new beginning in life and then Faith's arrival brought her true happiness outside of her pack.

Faith had enjoyed her quiet upbringing, joining her parents on their travels abroad to research all types of animals and habitats. Faith had graduated secondary school and completed a bachelors of modern literature. She was applying to masters programmes when her parents got news of funding to travel to Antarctica. Faith had been excited for them but could not ignore the gnawing in her gut at their impending travels. Her gut had been right after all.

After two weeks Faith's parents boat had not docked in as expected and their radar was not being received by the coast guard. Their ship was lost in dangerous waters and not even the coast guard could send ships out to search for them. Faith had been caught up in contacting news channels and sending pictures of her parents to local businesses when the gruff bar manager had fed her a spoonful of reality this afternoon. She replayed his words as she watched the stream pick up speed: "No one returned from those waters miss."

Her parents were likely dead. Just as she had ended the call with the barman the phone had sounded with a call from her aunt. Her mothers sister Jane was still living in the wood river pack with a mate and two daughters. The youngest had gained her wolf last year. Her mother contacted her sister now and then but their relationship was distant. Faith's grandparents had passed away five years ago and her mother had stayed in the cottage the day of the funeral. She said there was no place for a human at a sacred pack burial. Jules life in pack territory was not something she ever shared with Faith, in fact Faith had little exposure to that side of her heritage. She had not met her cousins and she had only seen her aunt a handful of times in her younger years.

Faith was sure Jane's visit today had everything to do with her parents disappearance case being dropped by the government and embassy. They had been presumed dead by everyone. Except Faith. She couldn't allow that thought to grow inside her. She was barely hanging on as it was. She wondered what her aunt had to say exactly. Whether she wanted to send her condolences in person or if her visit had a more specific purpose.

When Faith opened the door her aunt was standing nervously beside an older man. She presumed it wasn't her mate and waited for her aunt to introduce him as a lawyer. Faith was nervous at the presence of a lawyer in her small cottage. Jane stepped in the door without Faith's offering and the lawyer followed.

"Faith, my goddess you are beautiful."

Faith pointer to the chairs at the kitchen table and they sat down.