TWELVE

Patty was finishing putting away clothes in the closet when she heard the front door of the house close. Rebecca had returned. Several days had passed since the girl had arrived at the old woman's house practically unannounced, and although she was initially quite surprised to see her on the threshold of her door, she had to pretend that the reason that had brought her to that small town was nothing more than evident.

It's curious how the universe works. Sometimes we trust blindly in what our eyes see without considering anything beyond; something logical for normal people, which was not precisely Patty's case. However, that gray-haired woman of about five feet didn't have to pretend surprise the day Freen stepped into her flower shop, although deep down, she knew that it would happen sooner or later.

Five years earlier

She had been living in that small town for several months when she resumed contact with a somewhat emotionally unstable Rebecca after the death of her grandmother. The old woman knew about the demons of the girl, about the struggle, the torment that losing the only person she truly considered her family had caused her, but she never imagined that all of that would leave Rebecca on the edge of a bridge.

Seven months had passed since that fateful night, and five since Rebecca had confided in Patty about what had happened and about her attendance at the support group.

-I've seen her - was the first thing that came out of Rebecca's mouth when Patty answered the call.

-Who have you seen, honey? Be a little more specific -

-Freen, Patty. I've seen Freen - The old woman remained silent. She knew it was only a matter of time before Becky ran into Freen. -It's strange; either she pretended not to know me or she really forgot about me, because she didn't even flinch when she crossed paths with me - said the girl. Patty sighed silently. She didn't know how to begin to explain what she believed was happening.

-Where did you say you saw her? - asked the old woman, although she already knew the answer.

-At the therapy center. I think she's admitted there from what I've heard - Rebecca fell silent for a few seconds - I wonder why she's there. I mean, she seemed pretty normal when I met her-

-Well, thousands of things can happen in people's minds, Rebecca. And many months have passed. We don't know if something might have happened to her - she said, biting her lip at the amount of lies she was spewing one after the other.

-Yeah, but I don't know, she didn't seem like the type of person who self-destructs.-

-Neither are you, and look where you found her - the old woman remarked.

Silence again.

-Anyway - the girl continued with a sigh. - I'm not saying I expected a movie-like reunion or anything, but I also didn't think she wouldn't recognize me. Not after that night. I haven't been able to get her face out of my head.-

-I know, Rebecca - said the old woman quietly - but I repeat that sometimes people's minds are a complete mystery. And sometimes the mystery is not just the mind - the old woman scolded herself for speaking too much - Don't dwell on it. Surely if she manages to remember you, she'll look for you.

-I don't know... After today, I doubt it - the girl replied disheartened.

-Anyway, why so interested in meeting her again, Rebecca?-

-I think I need to thank her - Patty patiently waited for a very long pause from the girl - If it weren't for her, I probably wouldn't be here today, and I could never tell her -

-Then I guess at some point you'll have the chance to tell her. But for now, I recommend you not to rush, maybe she's not ready.-

The conversation became less momentous after Patty's attempt to convince Rebecca to give Freen some space. When the old woman hung up the phone, she was exhausted from that chat where she had to lie much more than she was used to doing. But how could she tell Rebecca that Freen couldn't remember her? How could she explain to her that for Freen, Becky no longer existed? How could she begin to tell her that if Freen were asked, Becky did die that night?

*