THIRTY - FIVE

-Rebecca?- the old woman's voice sounded at the end of the hallway. -I know you're here, your stuff is all over the living room.-

Freen covered her mouth to hold back laughter as Becky took a few turns around herself. If she had ever seen her nervous, it was nothing compared to her current state. She was hysterical. But why? Patty knew that the two of them knew each other, and they weren't so lightly dressed for the situation to be completely uncomfortable. Even so, Becky shook her hands a couple of times before speaking aloud. -Yes, Patty, I'm here!- she shouted. She met Freen's gaze with raised eyebrows and arms crossed over her chest. -We're, we're here!-

-What were you planning, to lock me in a closet?- Freen whispered.

-I'm sorry, I apologize,- a nervous laugh escaped her - -We're coming!- she shouted again into the hallway.

Becky left the bedroom followed closely by Freen, knowing that the encounter was imminent and without having any prepared story to tell. They reached the living room where the woman was struggling with her suitcase, which didn't seem to want to roll. -This devil's contraption, instead of wheels it seems to have prisms. Rebecca, dear, see if you can take it to my room,- she said without looking up.

-Of course, sure. No problem,- Becky cleared her throat to continue speaking - -Patty, you see...- she cleared her throat again - -Freen is here.-

-Sorry?- the old woman said, suddenly looking up -Freen?-

-Indeed- Freen appeared behind Becky through the living room door - -Hello Patty.-

She said those words so sweetly that Becky felt like melting right there, in front of that woman with glassy eyes who was approaching Freen slowly. The girl had her hands clasped behind her back, and she swayed shyly as the old woman reached her and put her hands on the sides of her face.

-You look beautiful- she finally said - -What a great joy it is to see you.-

-I'm very glad too, Patty,- Freen said, releasing her hands and hugging the woman who for a moment couldn't hide her surprise at that gesture from the girl. In the years they had spent together, Freen never approached. Not even when they reunited after the girl's months of internment. Freen simply didn't approach anyone.

-And tell me, what are you doing here?- she asked finally letting go of Freen's arms, who looked at Becky waiting for her to take the lead in the answer.

-Uh... well, we came so Freen could change clothes, hers were wet from the rain.-

-I saw clothes hanging outside, is that yours?- she asked, addressing Freen.

-Yes- she replied.

-And Becky, didn't you have anything more decent to lend her, dear?- the old woman asked, inspecting the girl's outfit.

-It's just that was the only clothes I had to lend her at the Flower Shop.-

-And why did she change at the Flower Shop?- the old woman didn't seem to let anything slip through her fingers.

-And you? What about your trip?- Becky suddenly asked - -I thought you were coming back tomorrow.-

The old woman raised an eyebrow, knowing that Becky was dodging questions once again. She would let it go for now, anyway, she knew she would end up finding out everything. -Well, yes, but the forecast was for an even worse storm than today's and much longer for tomorrow, so I preferred to take advantage of this break in the sky to come back. I didn't interrupt anything, did I?- Freen felt her cheeks warming up when Patty looked at her smiling. Becky didn't know where to hide, but she still spoke up.

-No, no. I mean, we weren't doing anything, actually we were going to get some clothes from my closet when you arrived.-

-Ah, well, go on, go on,- she said as she sat down in her armchair - -I'll wait for you here.-

Becky went out to the hallway again followed by Freen, and they headed back to her bedroom. Becky closed the door slowly behind her once they entered. -I'm sorry, I had no idea she would decide to come back today- Becky apologized.

-Becky, it's okay, it's not like you brought me here planning to rip my clothes off- Freen said, observing Becky's amused expression - Right?- she laughed.

-No, no,- she covered her face with her hands - -Although to be honest I would have liked to.- she whispered.

Freen felt the heat rising in her cheeks again as her eyes remained completely hooked on Becky's. -I don't know if I should go home...- 

-Oh, so soon?- Becky didn't want to separate from her for anything in the world.

-No, it's not like it's late or anything, it's just that— 

-No, I understand that right now you might find it a bit weird to stay here- Becky interrupted her.

-No, it's just that—Freen tried again, unsuccessfully.

-No, if you're uncomfortable staying here, I understand,- Becky kept rambling.

-No, it's that—- Freen called her again, but the girl seemed not to hear her.

-Of course, yes,- she interrupted her again - -it's understandable. I imagine having Patty show up today wasn't in your plans,- she said, without noticing Freen's hint.

-Rebecca, listen to me,- Freen said, using a tone of voice that finally got Becky's attention -I don't want to leave- she took a few slow steps toward the girl - But if I don't leave, I'm going to have a problem—

-Ah... oh, really?- Freen was less than a foot away from her body -And what problem is that?- she whispered.

-That I won't be able to stop looking at your lips- she said as she approached so close that her nose practically touched Becky's - -and I don't know if I can disguise it in front of Patty,- she whispered back.

-Damn it, Freen,- Becky growled, putting one of her hands on the back of the girl's neck as she brushed her lips against hers, without kissing her - -what are you doing to me—

-I'm the one who should be asking that,- she replied on Becky's lips.

-Please, stay. If you want, I won't look at you- Freen laughed at an inch from her mouth.

-I wonder if I'll ever be able to deny you anything,- Freen concluded.

Becky shook her head, brushing her lips against hers again.

-Come on, I'll leave you some clothes before Patty comes to choose an outfit for you.-

**