FIFTY - THREE

The last night of the festival was a hubbub of people. Coinciding with the weekend, dozens of people with sleeping bags and blankets came to enjoy the open mic night and the subsequent stargazing event.

Becky had been helping Irin during the day. With Freen's absence and, above all, the need to leave Patty's house, Becky appreciated having something to do to keep her mind from sinking into utter despair. And she really hadn't had time to think about much of anything during that day.

Heng and Nam were also there, helping the sound technicians wire the speakers and monitors on stage, setting up chairs for the audience, and preparing the list of participants. Becky was nervous; she still hadn't decided whether she would go up or not, and of course, she hadn't told Irin anything about it. She knew that if Irin found out she had written something during her third consecutive night of insomnia, she would force her to go up and sing. And she preferred to leave that to fate. When the time came, she supposed she would feel the urge to go up or, on the contrary, to run away.

Little by little, the tent filled with people talking animatedly. The murmurs and laughter grew louder, and Becky felt the nerves filling every inch of her body. She didn't understand why she was so nervous; it wasn't the first time she sang in public. But there was something about the possibility of doing it that night that was simply pushing her over the edge. Irin glanced at her from afar and signaled for her to come closer.

 -I texted Freen this morning,- she said. -She hasn't replied, so I don't think she's coming,- she shrugged.

-And you're telling me this because...?- Becky asked.

-Because you're hysterical, Becky- Irin raised her eyebrows.

-I'm not hysterical,- Irin raised her eyebrows. -Well, maybe a little, but it's not because of Freen. I know she won't come.-

-Then?- Becky asked, but someone called her from the sound table. -You're lucky they need me- she said, narrowing her eyes. -I'll be back.-

-I'm sure of it- Becky said.

Becky was relieved when Irin didn't have time to continue her interrogation. The attendees finished filling the space, and some people even stood surrounding the last rows of chairs, and from afar she saw the girl gesturing to her, trying to tell her they would talk later as she climbed onto the stage to present the event. When the start of the concert was announced, the lights in the tent went out, leaving only some tiny garlands lit throughout the space, which looked like small stars in the middle of the night. Only the stage was illuminated with a dim light, as if the moon had settled on that microphone stand waiting for the first participant. Becky slipped through the crowd to position herself in the participant's area without Irin seeing her, thankful for the darkness. And when, quite a while later, the host said her name, she went up and sat at the piano placed on stage. 

-This song is called Eris. The smallest and farthest planet there is,- Becky said, trembling before placing her hands on the piano.

You and I talked about everything under the sun, and
I'm not sure at what point you figured this out on your own
So go reinvent yourself into a whole other person
But I know you better than anyone you'll ever knowOh, you said that you needed space, go on then, astronaut
And when you come back down to earth, bet I'll be the one you call
When you realise there's nothing out there, but matter and emptiness
And you let a good thing goYou could get one of those super white suits
And bounce around how like my gravity isn't holding you
And the cruellest part of it is how you tell me that you love me still (yeah)
Like I'm supposed to wait here while you're figuring out just how you feelOh, yeah, you said that you needed space, go on then, astronaut
And when you come back down to earth, bet I'll be the one you call
When you realise there's nothing out there, but matter and emptiness
And you let a good thing go, oh, yeah, oh, yeahI hope you find all you need, yeah
It hurts to know that's not me 'causeYou said that you needed space, go on then, astronaut
And when you come back down to earth, bet I'll be one you call
When you realise there's nothing out there, but matter and emptiness
You let a good thing go

*(Astronaut, by Griff)

The crowd fell into a few seconds of silence, as if wanting to return to Earth after that journey to Eris, and then a thunderous applause returned Becky to reality. She stood up, still trembling, and waved into the darkness speckled with small lights, barely able to distinguish the faces of the audience, who continued to applaud. When she got off stage, Irin, Heng, and Nam were at the bottom of the stairs, looking at her as if they had had an epiphany.

-Becky, that was...- Irin began.

-It was beautiful- Heng interrupted.

-I think I've fallen in love with you- Nam said, placing a hand over her chest. -Why didn't you tell us you were going to sing?-

-I'm dead embarrassed right now- Becky admitted. -I don't even know why I did it.-

-We should have dragged Freen's eager ass here tonight- Nam said, crossing her arms over her chest. -She's so stubborn.-

-It's okay, Nam- Becky said, with a pang of sadness. -It's fine. She's decided to stay away, and I understand- she sighed. -I'm going to pick up the winners' bouquets at the Flower Shop; there aren't too many people left to sing. I'll be right back- Becky said, walking away quickly.

-Someday you'll tell me what happened for you two to be like this overnight- Heng said.

-Sometimes it's much better to live in ignorance, Heng- Nam sighed as she watched Becky disappear into the crowd. -Trust me.-

**