FORTY - FIVE

The day was cold, but the sun was shining when Freen and Becky stepped out onto the street to head to the festival's shopping area, where the bookstore stand would be serving the public during those days. The walk was peaceful, and after several minutes of walking, Freen reached for Becky's hand and intertwined their fingers. It was as if fear weighed less, as if her heart were a feather and her chest was filled with light. Becky squeezed Freen's hand as she smiled, enjoying the sight of Freen's eyes reflecting the sun with their golden glimmers, and thought about how lucky she was to have found her. But unlike Freen, Becky not only felt lightness in her chest; worry lurked in a corner, as if waiting for its moment to make an appearance. She would like to be honest with Freen and tell her the truth. Tell her that she was the girl from that bridge, tell her that she had been waiting for her for years. She would also like to be honest with Patty, tell her that Freen was beginning to remember. She would like to be honest with herself, and tell the girl that she was totally in love with her. But each and every one of those actions simply terrified her.

-I'll be at the stand all day. It's the literary day, and that area is going to be packed with people,- Freen said.

-Will you be reading something?- Becky asked.

-No, no,- she smiled, -I think I've had enough spotlight for a while.-

-It's never too much, Miss Writer- Becky joked.

-Believe me, it is for me,- Freen sighed, -Are you going home to see Patty?-

-Yes, in fact, she asked me to accompany her tonight. She wants to come to the reading session.-

-Is she going to participate?- Freen asked, amazed.

-Well, I couldn't tell you. I haven't been home much these past few days. Someone has kept me entertained,- she joked.

-Wow, whoever that is must be lucky- Freen teased.

-Anytime you want, I can keep you entertained too, you know?- she raised an eyebrow.

-I'm not very keen on sharing. Eventually, I would want you all to myself- Freen whispered. Becky's skin tingled.

-You have no idea how much 'yours' I am already- she whispered back. Freen tugged at her hand to bring her closer and gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

-I like that- she said, brushing her lips again, -Will I see you tonight then?-

-Of course,- she gave her another short kiss, -Before you know it, I'll be back.-

Freen smiled and nodded as Becky broke the contact and walked away from Freen, who headed to the bookstore stand.

-I'm starting to think you've stolen my job,- she said to Nam, who was sitting behind the counter.

-Let's say we understand that you have other commitments at the moment,- Nam said -By the way, where is she?-

-Referring to my 'commitment'?- Freen asked sarcastically.

-Exactly.-

-She went home.-

-Oh, but does she remember where it is? Miracle- Nam joked. Freen glared at her, but then gave her a smile.

-Nothing is going to make me angry today, Nam, sorry.-

-That seems like a wonderful attitude,- Irin intervened -because I've put you on the readers' list for tonight.-

-Excuse me, what?- Freen opened her eyes wide.

-Come on, you're the star writer of my bookstore. People are eager to hear you.-