SIXTEEN

The ride back in Becky's car was pleasant and wrapped in comfortable silence, much to Freen's surprise. Perhaps Becky was right, and letting her soul be absorbed by airplanes was a good therapy method, because now she felt much more relaxed. Calm, even.

At times, she found herself staring at Becky's hands as they moved across the steering wheel to the rhythm of the music. And at times, she also found herself gazing at Becky's lips as they murmured the lyrics of the song they were listening to.

Freen then realized that it had been a long time since she last went out, sang, drove while tapping on the steering wheel, or made wild plans like getting under airplanes. And a familiar fear gripped her chest. Was she wasting her life? Well, she had written a book. And for the past two years, everything, even the excuses for not going out with anyone, revolved around that. But the book was no longer an excuse. What would it be now?

-How's the book going?- Becky broke the silence, surprising Freen. Could Becky read minds?

-Fine- she coughed. -I guess fine. You said you liked it, right?-

-I loved it. It's a very sad and beautiful story. Just like you.-

-Oh, do I seem very sad to you?- she asked, rolling her eyes.

-Very, yes. Both things- Becky said, keeping her eyes on the road.

-Becky...-

-Don't worry, you don't have to say anything. I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I'm just making an objective observation. You could star in eyeliner commercials and cause collective fainting spells. And that's a fact.-

-You could star in eyeliner commercials too- Freen blurted out her compliment embarrassingly clumsy. The girl had literally told her she was beautiful, and all Freen could muster was that she could advertise eyeliners. How pitiful she felt, and that feeling she had perfectly identified.

They arrived at Freen's apartment door, and Becky stopped the car. -It's been fun- she said, releasing the handbrake.

-And spontaneous, Freen replied. -Two uncommon things in my life lately.-

-I can't believe you don't do fun things. You're fun.-

-Me, fun? I think you're talking to a different Freen.-

-Don't be silly,- Becky smiled. -I had a great time with you.- She smiled, looking down at her feet. She suddenly felt nervous.

-I was thinking that if you feel like it, we could meet up one of these days, even if Patty isn't around- Becky continued.

-Of course, yes. I'd love to- Freen said, taking a deep breath. -But this time, could you do me the favor of giving me your phone number? I think the pigeons are about to file a restraining order against me for harassing them, thinking they'll bring your message- Becky burst out laughing.

-Don't laugh. I don't know what's worse, believing you're Harry Potter or going through this moment of extreme embarrassment telling you this. Besides, it's been years since I asked anyone for their phone number. Maybe, in fact, I'm emboldened by these hours of social recharge you've given me, and in three hours, I'll deeply regret having given you a direct line of communication with me from which I can't escape without being terribly rude to you, and therefore saying goodbye to any kind of relationship we might have- Freen rambled on, Becky stoically enduring the downpour without even blinking. When Freen finished speaking, Becky reached out her hand, indicating that she should hand over her phone. Freen unlocked it and handed it over.

-Okay- Becky said. -I'll give you my number, and I won't save yours until you text me, okay? That way, you can decide when you feel like hearing from me again.-

Freen smiled as she watched Becky deftly slide her fingers over her phone's screen. She had saved Becky's number with a 'B,' the emoji of a pigeon, and an envelope. Freen laughed again. -Sorry about all this, Becky. Sometimes I feel like I'm not carrying a backpack, but I'm a snail dragging things, and—Becky raised her hand to stop her from speaking.

-It may sound crazy, but I know. And I like you as you are- she said, tilting her head, squinting her eyes again, causing Freen to sigh. -Let me decide when I can't stand you anymore, okay?-

Freen nodded, smiling. With a smile, she got out of the car and waved goodbye. She closed the building's door and looked at the street, watching as Becky waited for the door to close completely before driving off. She turned towards the elevator, phone in hand. Becky's contact was still open with her pigeon and envelope emoji.

*

FAR FROM ERIS  • FreenBecky •On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara