Chapter 4

2 ₥Ø₦₮Ⱨ₴ Ⱡ₳₮ɆⱤ

T̶͚̰͖͐͒̏͊̈́h̶ì̷̢͉̗̄̚r̶d̵̰̜̬̭̿̑͜ ̸̂̆̀̑̋ P̶̲͉̳̔̓Õ̸̖͉͔̦̤͖̗̥̞̐̂̿͘͜V

It was now almost the peak of summer and Iris' 18 birthday was fast approaching. Her and Jeff's Friendship - if you could even call it that- Was growing he still had his moments where he was cold to her but he also had developed a protectiveness when it came to her, always lingering around her or walking to class and claiming the seats next to her. In the few classes where she actually was sitting next to someone else he had scared them off so he could sit next to her. She couldn't figure him out! He would reply to her in snarky comments or blunt replies but he didn't seem to want to leave her side. 

Iris was tying her laces of her trainers ready to go to track practice having mindless chit chat with her fellow track stars but one question caught her off guard "so... Jeff? are you dating him or-" Paige's question trailed off leaving the rest of the question unsaid but easily interpreted. It was no secret how all the girls fawned over him but no one could ever get close, he simply didn't let them. "No. we are just... friends?" Iris responded almost as a question for she truly didn't know "oh! well do you think you could put in a good word about me and maybe give him my number?!" Paige exclaimed seeming all to excited about the revelation of his relationship status. Iris hummed in response leaving the changing rooms and headed out onto the field.

As she stepped foot out the main doors of the building she felt an arm rest on her shoulders and the smell of smoke and boyish cologne filled her nostrils, she didn't need to look up to know who was next to her. Jeff. "So, Princess"- he paused to inhale from his cigarette - "your birthday is soon right?" He asked but didn't give her time to respond " I wish to be there for when you turn 18." his voice was deep Iris looked up at him confused "..why?" she blinked up at him " you will see. Just let me be there okay? Trust me you will need me there, if your parents are funny about you having guys over or whatever, I will just sneak in through the window" he stated this as if it was completely sane and normal. This was the first time he had actually spoke many words to her with him being the one to initiate the conversation. "um, sure whatever. You will need to climb through the window though, and no smoking in my house" She spoke her voice still holding the elegance it always did. 

"Iris! I thought you said nothing was going on between you two!" Paige rushed to be in stride with the two her face was riddled with jealousy "There isn't" - "Who is this Princess" both Iris and Jeff spoke. "Really? you don't know who I am? we are in English, Maths and History together. seriously you have been going to this school for 2 months now its a pretty small school silly " Paige giggled spoke her voice high pitch and clearly put on she moved so she was more in sight of Jeff and folded her arms over her chest pushing her breasts up. Iris had to refrain from rolling her eyes. "Okay? Your point? listen closely little girl I'm only going to say this once. I do not care for you or anyone else in this measly little school alright? Now you're going to be late for practice. Run along" it wouldn't take a genius to hear the annoyance and boredom in his voice Iris had to bite back a laugh which made her cough as she covered her mouth with her hand. Paige scowled at Iris and Jeff made a point to move his arm from around her shoulder to placing a hand on the small of her back "I'll watch you from the other side of the field princess, make me proud yeah?" he planted a kiss on the top of her head and took off walking to "their spot" on the field leaving Iris confused and flustered "see you on the track... princess" Paige spat running over to the other girls painting on her fake smile and giggling. 

Iris joined the rest of her team and started stretching as the coach instructed them through their warm up. "Iris, Paige, Jessica and Bethany. You're up to race first. You will be running 1600m today, fastest runner will get to leave and have their summer break early" the girls lined up on the track while a few complained that it wasn't fair that they were getting put against Iris as her pace was unmatched. "on your marks, get set, GO!" on the que the girls set off Iris jogging leisurely behind them but not trailing to far behind pacing herself.

 She soon got bored of the pace though in her attempt to give the girls a decent head start she kicked in to higher gear and started a full sprint quickly over taking Jessica who was currently in first place and clearing the finish line a good 30 seconds before the rest of the girls. Her chest heaving slightly as she gulped for air at the quick rush of exhaustion by the time the other girls crossed the finish line she had regained composure and it was almost as if she hadn't even competed at all if it wasn't for the slight sweat that glistened on her forehead. 

"Well Iris, as the winner. You get to go home. Congratulations and good luck with your exam results." The Coach beamed at her tears welling up in her eyes "I'm going to miss you Iris my little track superstar" Iris nodded her head in acknowledgement "Thank you coach, I'm sure to miss you too" With that said Iris made her way across the field to the boy in the white hoodie and sat down next to him "nicely done princess, you smoked them" Jeff complimented her.  What is wrong with you  Jeff thought to himself confused as to why he had been so protective over her recently and complimenting her, this was so out of character for him. Especially him offering to be there on her 18th birthday, though he knew what was going to come, she did not.

𝐼𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝑒𝓃𝒿𝑜𝓎𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓅𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓈𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝓋𝑜𝓉𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒹𝓇𝑜𝓅 𝒶 𝒸𝑜𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒻𝒶𝓋𝑜𝓊𝓇𝒾𝓉𝑒 𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓉.