The Poe Cup

I woke up to find Wednesday missing. Not out of the ordinary, but disappointing. I rub my eyes as i get out of bed, not minding the spiders anymore.

I spent the next hour getting ready for the day. My mind wonders about last night. Did she really ask me that? I wouldn't be surprised if i was dreaming.

I smile slightly to myself at the thought. No. Focus is key. And now, i need to be focusing on this investigation.

I slip my jacket on as i exit my dorm. I look around, unexpectedly seeing everyone missing. I spot a group at the end of the hall. They all seem excited.

"Where is everyone?" I ask from a distance.

"The Poe Cup." I hear them shout.

Damn.

__________________________________

I rush outside, seeing everyone gathered at the lake. I push through the crowd, almost getting trampled. I find four boats on the water, everyone cheering on their selected boat.

I spot Wednesday and Enid in a black boat, both of them wearing cat ears and black suits. I smile to myself at the sight. I wonder how much convincing it took for her to wear that..

I see Wednesday glance at me, and i give her a reassuring smile. She looks away, keeping her monotonous face. I smile wider.

I decide to find another place to watch from, my skin crawling at all of the people's touch. I glare at the crowd as i try and look over them. I sigh.

Just as i'm about to head back inside, i spot a small spider crawling up a tree. It begins moving into the woods. I decide to follow it.

I get lost for a moment, but find a small ledge, hanging over the water. I smile slightly, looking around for the spider.

After a brief look around, i notice it's gone. "Thanks." I say as i take a seat on the ledge.

_________________________________

After about 10 Minutes, i hear a gunshot in the distance. I assume that means the race has started. I smile softly as I see the boats begin to pass each other in a rush.

All is going well, before i see one of the boats begin to be, almost pushed into one of the guide poles, causing it to split in half. I squint my eyes, noticing what looks like a tail in the water. Bianca.

Nilus Albocinctus. Also known as "The Fishing Spider." An African species of arachnid that lives on the surface of water, but is able to go long periods of time submerged.

It is highly invasive, and very rare to see. It's able to take down small fish, and able to paralyze any living creature with a toxic venom that is found when the arachnid bites. They're also quite the swimmer.

I smile wickedly to myself as i watch a long, thick spider quickly glide along the water. I hope this helps, Wednesday.

The spider submerges itself, swimming quickly towards the creature under the water. I watch as the waves of its tail begin to move away, heading for land. I smile to myself.

I watch the black boat containing Wednesday and Enid reach the dock to Crackstone's Crypt. Wednesday tells enid something before darting into the forest. I wince, hoping she has this under control.

I begin to worry after 5 minutes of her not coming back out. I glare as Bianca reaches the dock, running into the forest. I stand, now a bit into to this race.

I watch as Bianca comes out, holding her flag. I sigh in disbelief. Soon after, Wednesday runs out, holding her flag. My hopes are brought back up.

One of the boats seemingly sink at the docks, and i know just who's responsible for that. I glance at Enid, as she smiles mischievously.