The Adventure Just Started And Hazel's Already Gone!

~~~~Y/N's PΩV~~~~

LUNCH FELT LIKE A FUNERAL PARTY. Everybody ate. People talked in hushed tones. Nobody seemed particularly happy. The other campers kept glancing over at Percy like he was the corpse of honor. which really started to tick me off.

Reyna made a brief speech wishing us luck. Octavian ripped open a Beanie Baby and pronounced grave omens and hard times ahead, but predicted the camp would be saved by an unexpected hero (whose initials were probably OCTAVIAN). Then the other campers went off to their afternoon classes – gladiator fighting, Latin lessons, paintball with ghosts, eagle training and a dozen other activities that sounded better than a suicide quest. Percy followed Me, Hazel and Frank to the Barracks to pack.

Percy didn't have much. He'd cleaned up his backpack from his trip south and had kept most of his Bargain Mart supplies. He had a fresh pair of jeans and an extra purple T-shirt from the camp quartermaster, plus some nectar, ambrosia, snacks, a little mortal money and camping supplies. At lunch, Reyna had handed him a scroll of introduction from the praetor and camp senate.

Supposedly, any retired legionnaires they met on the trip would help them if shown the letter. He also kept his leather necklace with the beads, the silver ring and the probatio tablet, and of course he had Riptide in his pocket. He folded his tattered orange T-shirt and left it on his bunk. which made me a little sad.

I didn't have much either, I reached for another shirt and just caught the shadow creeping up. I need to stop thinking of the past, it makes me vulnerable, It lets him take control. I knew what I needed to do to stop this, find his first peace so he doesn't try and take over my body so often. seems easy right? wrong.

This ghost in me, who's name I will still not say, has taken over many people before, mostly demi-gods. Christopher Columbus, James Cook, Black Beard, these were all subject to finding his body, non succeeded.

One of our roommates, Bobby, gave us a ride to the border of the valley on Hannibal the elephant. From the hilltops, I could see everything below. The Little Tiber snaked across golden pastures where the unicorns were grazing. The temples and forums of New Rome gleamed in the sunlight. On the Field of Mars, engineers were hard at work, pulling down the remains of last night's fort and setting up barricades for a game of deathball. A normal day for Camp Jupiter – but on the northern horizon, storm clouds were gathering.

I looked down, this place was a place I imagined I could share with Annabeth... we got off the elephant. Bobby wished us a safe journey. Hannibal wrapped the three questers with his trunk. Then the elephant taxi service headed back into the valley.

Percy sighed. He turned to Hazel, Frank and I and tried to think of something upbeat to say.  A familiar voice said, 'IDs, please.' A statue of Terminus appeared at the summit of the hill. The god's marble face frowned irritably. 'Well? Come along!'

'You again?' Percy asked. 'I thought you just guarded the city.' Terminus huffed. 'Glad to see you, too, Mr Rule Flouter. Normally, yes, I guard the city, but for international departures I like to provide extra security at the camp borders. You really should've allowed two hours before your planned departure time, you know. But we'll have to make do. Now, come over here so I can pat you down.'

'But you don't have –' Percy stopped himself. 'Uh, sure.' He stood next to the armless statue. Terminus conducted a rigorous mental pat down. 'You seem to be clean,' Terminus decided. 'Do you have anything to declare?'

'Yes,' Percy said. 'I declare this is stupid.' 'Hmph! Probatio tablet: Percy Jackson, Fifth Cohort, son of Neptune. Fine, go. L/N, Son of Victoria, Fine go. Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto. Fine. Any foreign currency or, ahem, precious metals to declare?'