xx - in which an unbreakable vow is made

It was very late at night. Hermione was heading up to bed, and Valerie was lingering in the common room, watching her climb the stairs.

It was dim, only a few lanterns lighting the space. Valerie's heart was heavy. She wrapped her arms around her own body, trying to squeeze some warmth back into herself. Harry walked out of the portrait hole, silently approaching Valerie.

She let him wrap his arms around her, let him push her onto the couch and keep her there, let him bury her face into his clothes. She went limp in his arms, her mind numb.

Why had she ever imagined there was tension between them? There was nothing — nothing barring them from each other.

"I believe in you, you know," she finally said. "You won't die. Please tell me you'll be okay tomorrow," she begged him, curling her fists into his sweater.

Harry didn't say anything at first.

"I won't die tomorrow. I won't die this entire tournament. Someone wants me dead, but they won't kill me. I'll try to win, even, Valerie," Harry finally said.

"What's your theory? Who do you think it is? You're not telling me something, Harry, and I don't like that."

"I don't know. I really don't know. Ron's not talking to me and Hermione's spending all her time in the library, and you're just so —"

"Sorry about that. It's just — who would do this?"

Valerie held Harry's hand and traced lines on the back of it, finding the gesture soothing. She was about at her breaking point, her head swirling with unanswered questions. But one thing she knew she had to say.

"Promise me. Promise me that you'll stay alive for me, Harry. This entire tournament, and you won't rush into things, and get yourself in trouble. Promise."

"I promise."

"Make me a vow. An unbreakable vow."

Harry hesitated, freezing for a second. How could she ask him to do that? An unbreakable vow — it could mean death for both of them. If he died, she would, too. He didn't want that.

But then he looked at her face, and he reluctantly nodded. He took her arm, and she took his. "I vow to stay alive for you. I vow that I'll always be there for as long as this tournament takes."

Valerie nodded, tears stinging in her eyes. "You'll be alright," she said, more to herself than to Harry. "Just make sure to keep your wand in your hand, and concentrate. Your Firebolt will come to you. I'll be cheering you on. Harry?"

"Yes?"

"That dragon's got nothing on you."