seventy four

"Please, Asra." I whimpered, caressing his face.

"Luna? Alpha?"

My head snapped toward the door, my eyes only just peering over the height of the bed. I caught the worried gaze of Rio and Everett, and their nostrils flared when they found me.

"Please, help him!" I cried, brushing tears from my cheeks.

Everett snarled, rushing toward us as he bent over his alpha. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I don't know what happened!" I insisted.

His head snapped toward me, eyes narrowed. "Did you do this?"

"What? No! Are you crazy?" I snapped.

"Who was he with last?"

"Well, me, but it wasn't me! You think I would hurt him?" I scowled.

His eyes narrowed with a challenge. "I don't know, would you?"

My chest flared with anger, irritated that he would think so little of me. After everything I've done, and all the work I had put into my luna work, somebody still tested me.

"Stand down, Everett." Rio hissed. "Assess the situation."

"He's been poisoned."

"What?" I blurted, eyes wide. "Poisoned? How?"

"We guard and check the meals well. It isn't possible." Rio shook his head.

"No-no, it was the rose." I shook my head.

"Rose?"

I pointed to the ground, my hand shaking. "That one."

Everett's jaw tightened as he went to reach for it, but I was quick to grab his forearm and pull it back.

"Don't touch it! That's what he did, and then next thing, he was falling to the floor!"

"How did it get in here?" Rio wondered.

"I don't know. It was just lying on the bed when I came out of the shower."

"You were alone?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"How did Asra get here?"

"I called him because the rose wasn't there before my shower."

"Someone planted it?"

"I think so..." I mumbled, unsure of his expression.

"How? Your door is thumb-printed."

"The-the window was open. It wasn't when I showered."

"Are you certain?"

"Yes, it is still open now." I pointed to it.

Rio jerked his head at Everett, and the large male growled at me before moving toward it. I wasn't so sure what got his pants in a twist. I didn't do any damn thing.

"No sign of a struggle." He stated.

"Why would someone place a rose on your pillow, Ailia?" Rio questioned.

My head dropped, lower lip wobbling as I palmed my mate's chest, feeling for his heart. It was slow but strong, a firm reminder that he was beside me.

"My ex used to bring me flowers."

"You think your ex did this?" Everett grunted.

"Yes." I deadpanned.

"I highly doubt a human could sneak into the pack house and through a perfectly intact window undetected." Everett scowled. "Nobody could get in here without access."