Chapter 14- Settle Our Differences

Razor

A few weeks later, I picked Blaze up in my Jeep as she was about ready to get into her Mustang. She looked as if she didn't get any sleep at all and she opened her math textbook after she put on her seatbelt.

"Well good morning sunshine. The earth says hello," I poked at her grumpy self.

"Yeah, haha, shut the hell up."

I chuckled, which was a mistake, and turned up the radio a little bit, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song.

"Razor. Seriously? This song?" She whined.

"What?! I like it! The driver picks the music and the passenger shuts his or her pie hole!!"

"Razor." She glanced evilly at me.

"Fine. The CD collection is in the glovebox."

She rooted around for a good CD and then I could tell when she found one. She popped it in the car player and turned up the volume. It was the mix CD of the local band the Day-Glow Personnel, and it improved her grumpy mood.

She continued to study and I couldn't help but look over at her, large baseball shirt rolled up at the elbows, hair hanging carelessly in front of her face. She looked so beautiful and she didn't know it.

"What are you looking at?" She snapped at me when she realized I was staring at her and I remembered she hated that.

"Nothing," I lied.

"Okay, well the light's green."

"Yeah, right."

I could tell right now that things were just going to be weird today. She wasn't in a good mood and I knew how I had to act so she didn't stab me with a fork. I didn't doubt that she would, though. I had to stay out of her way because something was really wrong. I could tell. I didn't want to take the risk of asking what it was. But of course, I did.

"What's up with you today?"

"NOTHING, OKAY? THE NEXT PERSON WHO ASKS ME IF I'M OKAY I SWEAR TO GOD I'M GONNA START THROWING PUNCHES!!"

Ah, the risks I take.

I took a step aside from her, giving her some breathing space. Today was not the day to get her upset. And yet I did. At practice, she was doing as best as she could with her wrist still not being 100%. I had come to a conclusion that it was me who she was pissed off at, which made no sense cause I did nothing. Or maybe I did, who knows. Girl logic is different and weird, but she probably thinks the same about me.

At one point in practice, she just stopped and started yelling at me. I didn't know why at first, but then she soon made it clear.

"GOD, RAZOR, STOP CORRECTING ME SO MUCH!!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was just giving you tips."

"YEAH, WELL, YOU WEREN'T!"

"I didn't know you'd react like this, I'm sorry."

"You should know, since you know so much about me!"

"But I can't read minds or see into your thoughts! How do you expect me to know what you're thinking?!"

"I don't, I just expect you to pay more attention to my feelings!"

"BUT YOU JUST SAID THAT I SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING! AND I AM SO SORRY, THIS MORNING I ASKED YOU HOW YOU WERE FEELING AND YOU THREATENED TO PUNCH ME!"

"NOT YOU, JUST ANYBODY WHO ASKED ME IF I WAS OKAY!"

"BUT ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANTED ME TO DO?!"

Coach Michaels sent us off the ice to settle our issue in a more private place, and so the rest of the team could continue to practice.

We bickered for quite some time more and then she didn't just threaten to punch me, she actually went for it. I have to admit, I may or may not have brought it onto myself when I stopped and said

"You're hot when you're yelling at me, you know."

I ducked her punch and grabbed her fist which was still dangling in the air, ready to hurt me, and I pulled her into my chest and kissed her.

She was still tense from yelling at me but I knew that this was causing her to go bat shit crazy.  I could see on her face that she so desperately wanted me to kiss her, and I didn't want to do anything but kiss her back. 

In my defense, I had to find the opportune moment, and that was it. Thankfully, I wasn't too late with the delivery and honestly, it was a sketchy plan, but it turned out more than fine in the end.

I didn't hesitate to kiss her again. It wasn't just her who wanted to see us kiss, it was the entire team. They had been waiting for us to just drop the act and make out, which is exactly what happened. The second I pressed my lips to hers, she stopped talking. The second I took them away, she began talking again like nothing had even happened.

"THAT IS WHAT I WAS MAD ABOUT! You made out with me a few weeks ago and didn't do anything about it and acted like it was nothing. I'm so confused, Razor! Do you have feelings for me, or not? You haven't shown anything since then, and I was up all night thinking about what I should do!"

"Why didn't you just tell me this was all about? I really don't bite all that often, please don't feel awkward about talking to me. I'm into you, okay?"

"I didn't come talk to you because I didn't want to scare you off and be the cause of why you and I failed. I know I can't blame it all on myself, but I always tend to, and I didn't want to mess things up because dammit- I like you a lot, okay?!"

"If anything, it's my fault for not saying anything to you about it since. I wanted to wait it out and see where things went so I wouldn't mess it up either, and I'm sorry that our lack of communication caused this to happen."

"You're almost impossible, you know that?"

"I know. Wanna go out for a snack after practice?" I offered.

"Yeah, sure."

There was a pause in our conversation until she asked, finally coming to a realization. 

"It's been like this all along, hasn't it?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry it had to be this way, the whole passive/aggressive thing."

"But we're working on it. That's good."

"It is good. So... Are we, like, dating now?"

"I guess you could call it that, yeah." She responded with a slight smile.

With that, we finished out the practice and spent the last few minutes of the evening together kissing on my front stoop, under the glow of the porch light and snowflakes softly falling around us.