Chapter 7- The Party Scene is Fun in Theory

The morning was chilly and Blaze ran into class with her cheeks red and rosy. She slid into her lab seat just before the late bell rang, rubbing her hands together in an attempt to warm up. She leaned down and grabbed her notebook and a pencil, checking her phone after she was settled.

The morning announcements were about to come on, and everyone was nervous. Razor knew he was already on the team, but he was nervous for Blaze. Today, the tension between them was a different kind of tension, and it was all about waiting for that roster to be announced.

"Blaze, you'll be fine. We'll figure this out, there's no need to worry." Austin offered. Blaze knew that when she heard her name it would be official, and she had a lot to plan out if she was really going to be on that hockey team. 

"Austin, I don't want to think about it. Okay?"

"Aight." He responded, quickly tapping out a message to a group text with the team.

Their captain, Jake Costello, mentioned in the group chat the annual Roster Party. He always hosted the party, usually in celebration of the new players. Everyone else who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone's girlfriend's best friend's brother's lab partner's cousin tends to show up at the party, and it wasn't pretty at the end of the night.

"What's next this morning, Bella?" Hanna, one of the student anchors on the TV morning announcements transitioned.

"We've got your sports scores from the games last night, and the roster for the Varsity and Junior Varsity ice hockey teams!" Bella responded excitedly. It was too early for that much excitement.

"Let's start off with the roster, I'm sure everyone who tried out is eagerly awaiting to hear who made the team! Would you like to start with Junior Varsity?"

"Sure. This year's Junior Varsity forwards are..." Bella began and Razor zoned out. He knew he was on Varsity and he didn't know any of the underclassmen who had tried out. Most of them made it on JV. Blaze's head perked up when they began to announce the Varsity roster.

She had an expression on her face that Razor couldn't quite read. It was a fairly equal mixture of anxiety and excitement. Blaze was obviously nervous, which was something he picked up on right away. After they got through announcing the Varsity forwards, it looked like she had calmed down a little bit. The wingers were next, then the centers.

"And now, the Defensemen!"

"Hanna, we've got a first, here!"

"That, in fact, we do!" Hanna replied. Razor looked over at Blaze, who was so pale she was almost transparent.

"Shit, I really made it." She muttered, not sounding too happy.

"It's gonna be alright, Blaze. If you really don't want to do it, talk to Coach Michaels. He'll understand." Austin spoke.

"Yes, but why varsity?!"

"Not to sound conceited or anything, but I think it's because he wants you to learn the game from me and Jared and Austin. You know, the better and more experienced players. Plus, I'm a defenseman. I can tutor you, per say." Razor offered.

"Perfect." Blaze sighed. 

"For the first time ever, we have a girl on the boys' hockey team! Junior girl Blaze Morgan has secured a spot on defense next to Razor Flynn, Jared Tavares , Austin Tucker and..."

At that exact moment, everyone in the classroom turned and looked at Blaze with mixed expressions of awe and confusion. She wanted to dig herself a hole and crawl into it, this did nothing good for her anxiety. Of course, this would be the talk of the entire school for who knows how long, and Blaze didn't want to be the center of attention like that.

"Well, now that you're on the team, we've gotta add you to the group chat!" Jared said to Blaze in the lunch line.

"No, I don't think so." She chuckled, still feeling uncomfortable.

"Why not? We have fun there!"

"I don't really want to be the only girl in a conversation full of 20-some odd guys."

"All we talk about is hockey and video games." Jared responded, not making her feel any better.

"Oh, and don't forget about the pop punk!" I added in. "But we totally understand if you don't want to be part of the group chat."

"I mean, I'm on the team now so I guess I'll join just for ceremonial purposes, but I doubt I'll ever say anything in the chat."

"Aight, we'll put you in right away, girly." Austin said, whipping out his phone and putting her in. "You coming to the party tonight?" He asked without looking up, as he was distracted by Twitter.

"Party?!" Blaze asked. She grabbed her food and kept walking down the line.

"Yeah, it's our annual party for those who make the team. It's team bonding, but usually ends up in chaos. You in?" He responded, putting his phone in his back pocket and getting his food too.

"Definitely not." She scoffed.

"Okay, I understand why you would say no, but this is your chance to meet the whole team and get to know them before practice starts up. I think they all want to get to know you a little better, and you don't have to stay for long." Jared piped up.

"If I go, can I leave after five minutes?"

"As long as you say hi to the team." Jared said. He knew exactly how she was feeling, parties were never really his thing either.

"What should I wear?"

"What you're wearing now is fine, it's like any other party. Nothing really special." Austin answered.

"You don't understand, I don't get invited to parties. I don't know what the hell goes on there!" She defended, her voice getting a little higher. She was nervous about this, and nobody blamed her.

"Okay, sorry. Sorry. Maybe dress up a little, but make sure you have a little bit of fun tonight." Austin replied.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do. Who goes to these parties?"

"The team, and everyone else who knows about it. But our captain, Jake, is really rich and has this nice ass mansion, so it's not like we're all cramped in a basement."

"Let me rephrase that question. Will there be cheerleaders there that'll make me feel badly about myself?"

"Yeah, sorry. Razor's girlfriend is the cheer captain." Jared casually slipped into the conversation.

"Wait, you're dating the Allie Collins?!" Blaze asked in surprise.

"It doesn't really feel like it anymore, though. I think she's sneaking around behind my back with the Quarterback." Razor answered. 

"You should talk to her about that. You shouldn't just assume these things, Razor." She said, sitting down at the lunch table and beginning to eat her food. It wasn't long before the rest of the hockey team joined them at the long lunch table. Her eyes widened and didn't expect to be bombarded with people like that.

All they could talk about was the party, but Razor stayed silent and thought about his relationship with Allie. There wasn't any doubt that she was going to be there, which would make things awkward. Razor just didn't want Allie to start any trouble or make a scene in front of half the school. He was in a desperate need to talk to her about their relationship in a different setting than a high school party.

Of course, it didn't work out that way, but nothing that night worked out the way anyone planned.