Strictly Business: Chapter 12

Shane was silent for a while before answering, "Anything I say now is going to sound like I'm jealous or prejudiced. You just need to know that he views women as a sport and his aim is just to bed them. He hates me because I keep going against him, chasing after the same women he's interested in. I humiliated him once in public when I asked the model he was chasing then who she would prefer, him or me. I walked off with the model and the whole entourage of girls that he had invited, the whole club was laughing at him and he was furious. He's been trying to get back at me ever since. He thinks he can accomplish that by making me a cuckold."

"Well I have no intention of making you one and I'm not one of those young starlets who would be dazzled by his money. We are just friends. It'll be childish for me to avoid him completely because we still have to work together, so I hope you can make peace with that." Elizabeth said quietly.

Shane glanced at her as he drove. Her jaw was set and her gaze resolute as she looked out the window. Shane knew there's nothing else he could say to convince her further.

As he drove along the highway, a sense of fear gripped him so intensely and suddenly that he almost lost control of his car. If Nicholas wasn't able to successfully seduce Elizabeth then what would he resort to to achieve his aim of revenge? That low life isn't above anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"By the way, what's this charity gala you said you'll call him about?" he asked as the Preston estate came into view.

"It's just the local annual society gala. It's a pretty big affair but I've never really participated. Always found such events boring. But this year Nicholas asked if he could escort me. I haven't really given him an answer yet."

"I've been invited as one of the guests of honour." Shane said mildly.

"You have?" Elizabeth was surprised.

"Yeah, this year's selected charity is funds for public schools. I made a donation and they invited me to help open the auction."

"Oh."

They were silent for a while.

"I'll turn Nicholas down. I don't even want to start thinking about how complicated it'll be if I'm at the same event with another man instead of my own husband," Elizabeth sighed.

"Thank you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shane sat in the sitting room, checking his watch for the millionth time.

"Shane?"

Finally, he thought as he walked into her room.

"Why is that all women take forever just to get ready?" he started to grouse but stopped short in his tracks.

Elizabeth wore her deep red hair loose and soft, draped over her left shoulder, with classic 1920s tight waves at her fringe. Her makeup was nude which showed off her fair complexion and her full lips were painted a bold red. Her black sheath gown was covered with bugle beads which made the gown shimmer as she moved. It had a deep V shaped neckline which was draped loosely and the black was dramatic against her creamy skin.

"Could you zip me up?" she asked shyly as she turned around. The back of the gown had a deep dip as well and showed off her shoulders and graceful curves.

Shane bit back a groan and stepped forward slowly. He couldn't help taking another step closer as he reached for the zip at the small of her back. He inhaled her perfume and couldn't help lingering his fingers on her skin a little longer than necessary after he was done.