Strictly Business: Chapter 25

Elizabeth hummed as she brushed her hair. She has been spending the past few mornings like that, waking up with a silly grin on her face. Ever since she agreed to start dating, Shane has been whisking her off to romantic dinners, long chats on his yacht and lingering kisses under the night sky. They can't seem to get enough of each other. This of course was not lost on their parents who were delighted at their budding romance. Elizabeth had this nagging suspicion this was planned all along.

A bouquet of flowers suddenly materialised before her. She smiled and turned to find Shane grinning at her.

"What's with the flowers?" she asked happily as she inhaled the aroma of the soft peonies.

"To celebrate. Today is the day your grandmother's dream come true." He stood behind her and rested his chin on the top of her head.

Elizabeth beamed back at him through the mirror. He was right, today was the groundbreaking ceremony of Eco City. Victoria's dream city is not just going to be on paper and plans anymore. Today it'll become a reality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Three, two, one!"

Elizabeth stabbed her shovel into the freshly turned earth in front of her and smiled for the cameras. Beside her were her parents, William and Shane, all having completed similar actions.

"Alright everyone, why don't we proceed over here to the model and I'll explain our vision to you?" Shane called out to the press, diverting their attention to the scaled model in the press conference area. Shane gave her a wink as he led them over. He knew how much she hated the cameras.

Elizabeth smiled happily at Shane's thoughtfulness. She wandered over to the edge of the large piece of land all ready to start construction. She gazed out over the empty plot, already imagining it's completion. It'll be a fantastic success. I can't believe we really did it, she gave a contended sigh. Oh Grandma, if only you're here to see it.

"Congratulations."

Elizabeth froze.

"Seems like this project is a baby of mine too, considering the amount of time I spent advising you on it," Nicholas said in a lazy drawl as he came to stand beside her. He turned to look at her.

How dare he?! How dare he?! Elizabeth couldn't believe he had the audacity to stand there and talk to her after all that he had done.

"Miss me?" he gave her a sly grin.

Elizabeth wanted to slap the grin off his face. She stared at him furiously, wanting to say so much to him. But words failed her, she was so angry she couldn't form them. Her hands trembled as she clenched them.

Shane came running up and pulled Elizabeth behind him protectively.

"What do you want? F*** off, you're not welcome here," Shane growled at him.

"Easy Preston, you don't want to start a scene and invite the press's attention over here do you? Don't forget, I'm one of the members of the panel, I was invited."

"Walk away, Shane. Walk away." Mason gave Nicholas a dirty look as he shepherded the two of them back. Shane put his arm around Elizabeth and glared at Nicholas as Mason pulled at his sleeve. Nicholas smirked.

"What's wrong?" Joanne asked as they approached, noticing their tense faces. She spotted Nicholas in the distance. "Oh. What's that scumbag doing here?"

"That cocky bastard! I can't believe he had the audacity to talk to me! Argghh, why did I get dumbstruck?" Elizabeth berated herself. Joanne rubbed her arm comfortingly. "Don't worry, he'll get his comeuppance. Tonight."

"You've already got something planned?" Shane asked.

"Yup, the trap is set. First Nolt, then Beaste. I'll explain it to you tonight." Mason said grimly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mason brought Shane to a crowded club that night. He scanned the floor teeming with people and seemed to have spotted something. He pulled Shane to a small table near the bar counter and ordered drinks from a passing waiter.

Chris was lounging lazily against the bar counter, dragging on a cigarette.  A beautiful young blonde squeezed in beside him to order drinks. Chris checked out her long legs and mini-skirt lustily. She cast him a nonchalant gaze and sauntered back to her own table. The hunger in Chris' eyes as he watched her was unmistakable. After a few minutes, he approached her and started chatting her up. She was at first aloof but slowly warmed up at Chris' persistence and charms. Mason and Shane watched them quietly and smiled when they left the club together. They clinked their beer bottles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this took so long. I was having writer's block and it didn't help I had another story idea clamouring for space in my head. I know it's a little short but the next chapter will be up soon.

Please also support my other story, 'The Prophecy'.

Thanks, love you all.

xoxo

daydreamerzz