Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

W A D E

For the most of the time that I was in my creative writing class, I could honestly say that I wasn't drastically improving in my writing pieces. The only supposedly good thing that had emerged from this situation was that I had finally gathered all the courage to apologize to Avery personally. One simple apology was enough for all the weight of guilt vanish from my chest.

The downside of it all was the fact that at first, I had thought Avery and I were alright with each other in the end. But afterwards, it was difficult for me to convince myself otherwise. As much as I hated to admit it, I would be lying to myself if I wait that we were continuing to talk to one another as if nothing happens. No, we didn't choose to ignore one another in the hallways when we got the chance, but if I did happen to pass by Avery, the only contact Avery and I gave each other was a small smile and nothing more.

Of course, we did start our new creative writing segment during March but that was really the only time Avery and I sat beside one another, giving one or the other limited advice because of the awkwardness in the air between us. I couldn't understand why I was somehow wanting for things to go back to a fresh start for Avery and I. But I was somehow determined to try my best to make it happen.

"So, what'd Coach Miller and the team do after you lost control of the puck during that quarter-final game?" Joey inquired, even though I knew he was only half-listening to me at that moment.

During a weekend in the beginning of March, Joey and I were seated in his car because he insisted on dropping me off at my place after our last hockey practice of the season. I told him I was alright with taking the bus home, but Joey wouldn't have it. I was still a little distracted, mainly because of what happened when I apologized to Avery. I was also trying to forget about what happened during that last hockey game, even though both incidents happened weeks ago. I didn't want to admit how I really felt about what happened, especially over the hockey game.

What really happened at the quarter-final game was that my hockey team, the Stewartville Prowlers, and the hockey team we were competing against during that round were both tied with the scores, at the end of all three twenty-minute periods. We were in the middle of our overtime period to compete for the game point that decided the verdict of the game.

One of my teammates passed me the puck, and I was supposed to shoot it straight into the net. But before I knew what was happening, one of the opposing team's player swooped right beside me and body-checked me forward, leaving me to slam my back against the ice as I felt all the air escape from my lungs.

Long story short, because I didn't have the will to get up from when I got body-checked, the other team unfortunately didn't receive a penalty for it and was effortlessly able to score the point they needed to defeat us. As if that wasn't worse for us, they were able to ultimately proceed to the semi-finals with a chance to be known as Minnesota's best Midget Minor hockey team, if they won the final game as well. Even though it was weeks since the game and even if no one said so, I could tell most of my teammates — especially Greg and others — and my coach were still disappointed in me, but I could understand why.

When you tell someone you'll try your hardest for them and ultimately fail, it's one of the worst feelings in the world. It was too late and I couldn't blame everyone; that was our last chance to play in the semi-finals and I ruined it for everyone, so I couldn't help but beat myself down for it.

Joey wasn't at the quarter-final game because he had to head somewhere important that day, so it was up until that day when he asked me what happened. But all I did was shrug my shoulders and continue to look out the window, as if I didn't know, when I really did. "I don't know," I blankly responded, choosing not to appear as weak and affected as I was to anyone.