Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A V E R Y

"I'm so pumped for tonight!" Willow excitedly gushed, after she, Ellie, and I pulled into the school's parking lot before getting out of the car. "Especially since we're having that sleepover at Ellie's later."

       November vanished as quickly as December flew in. Our last day of school was the day before; in honour of winter break, the annual Winter Formal Dance — which was really just a winter version of a semi-formal dance — was held the next day.

It seemed as if it were only a few days ago when I stumbled upon Wade down in the trail's ditches and into the cramped tunnel. Things were uncomfortable afterwards, filled with moments where neither of us could find the words to say.

      However, Wade and I gradually went back to how we were. We began spending time with each other a little more often than we used to, trying to make up for lost time.

Through it all, I steered clear of Wade and Crystal. I tried avoided knowing how they were doing. I already knew it was inevitable for that to not happen, but I assumed that they were okay.

Apparently from Rebecca and Natalie, who were keen gossipers, Wade and Crystal had a serious argument the day of the fight. It resulted in a two-week long silent treatment between them, although no one clearly knows what the reason for their argument was.

        I think that they somewhat made up, but I shut out the rest of the details from Natalie and Rebecca. It still hurt hearing about Crystal and Wade.

"That's the fifth time Willow's said that! I haven't heard either of you thank me for doing your hair," Ellie jokingly remarked, as we walked towards the school's front doors. "You could say 'You're a good friend, Ellie' in Tagalog, which is 'Ikaw ay isang mabuting kaibigan, Ellie.'"

I never planned on attending the Winter Formal Dance, but because Ellie and Willow repetitively begged me to go with them, I agreed. What was the worse that could happen?

      It took me a while to find a dress to wear from my closet in short notice. I never really wore makeup or knew how to do my hair nicely for special events like dances, so I enlisted help from Willow and Ellie.

Rebecca and Natalie were last-minute shopping for their dresses. Therefore, Willow, Ellie and I made our way to Ellie's house where she fixed my hair and Willow applied my makeup.

By the time we were about to leave, I was dressed in my black and red, printed dress with its white collar. Willow lightly applied my makeup, while Ellie put my hair up into a ponytail. The last thing she did was curl strands of my hair, and I stepped into my black heels as we left.

      Looking in the mirror, I hardly recognized myself. Because I wasn't used to getting that dressed up, I was a little unsure of my appearance. However, I brushed it off because I was only there for my friends, not for myself so I didn't complain.

"Well, I didn't catch that. But, I do know how to say thank you," I giggled, shivering through the beige, suede jacket I was wearing as we entered the school. "Salamat, Ellie."

Ellie glared at Willow, expecting her to say thank-you when Willow jokingly scoffed, "You should be thanking me! I fixed your eyeliner when you messed it up by using tape near your eyes."

The three of us erupted into laughter, making our way to the gymnasium. I really did enjoy being with Willow and Ellie at times like those, even if Rebecca and Natalie were absent.