Chapter Twenty

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter deals with sensitive issues — including alcoholism, family matters regarding death, and post-traumatic stress disorder. If you don't feel comfortable reading any of the issues listed above, please skip this chapter. I'll make sure to post a recap on the next chapter for anyone who skips this :)

...

CHAPTER NINETEEN RECAP: When locked in the school due to a snowstorm, Avery accidentally finds out about Calvin only using her for her grades. Later on, Avery finds herself locked in a room with Wade. Misunderstandings stir up old and new feelings, which causes Avery to open up about her past. She reveals that she lost a brother who was stillborn, and since then, hasn't been able to slowly repair her family or live up to her parents' high expectations of her. By the end, Avery breaks down in vulnerability in front of Wade, who comforts her in an embrace.

...

Chapter Twenty

W A D E

Ever since what happened years ago, I always hated opening up to other people.

It wasn't until the day after winter break where I'd be locked in a room with Avery Mitchell when I realized that opening up was a hard thing for others, too. Both of us were still on the ground of our old classroom with the wind still howling like it was for the past few hours.

"I hope you know that you don't have to live up to what everyone thinks you should be," I quietly reassured Avery, as she nodded in response. "And if people still don't like you for who you are, it doesn't mean anything."

For the past few minutes, I tried making Avery feel better. Although it was working, it still didn't make me feel any better. I felt like part of this was my fault. I was the one who brought up the brother that I didn't even know Avery had which led to her breaking down in tears and bringing up her past.

"I'm sorry I asked about your brother like that," I blurted out after a couple silent minutes, shaking my head. "I shouldn't have asked something so personal."

"It's okay, it's not like it's your fault, right?" Avery convinced me otherwise, crumbling her tissues into a ball to keep herself busy. "In a way, you're right. It's just hard not to always think about what people think of you. You're always trying to please people, and live up to expectations of who they think you are or should be... you know?"

For some reason, what Avery said replayed through my mind for a long time, like a broken record. I thought about the fact she said something so true that others could relate to.

What scared me the most, was I understood exactly what Avery meant.

Outside, the weather seemed to be even worse than it was earlier. The snowstorm slowly turned into a violent thunderstorm in only half an hour, with rain pouring down the windows and fast winds.

A thunderstorm like the night of April twenty-third.

Suddenly, flashbacks and memories from years ago bounced through my mind. I began hearing my mom's voice and my dad's laugh. Closing my eyes shut and covering both of my ears with my hands, I realized it only started to get worse.

The last time this happened to me was such a long time ago, that even I didn't know how to stop it.

The memories began to flash brighter in my mind, while I shut my eyes and covered my ears with my hands. I immediately tensed up when I saw pictures of Audrey showing me her scribbled drawings before travelling to a blurry scene when Charlie spoke her first words.