Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

A V E R Y

Recently, my parents made it more of a habit to eat with us at mealtimes. However, it wasn't because they cared about us and wanted to spend time with us that they were doing it. Noah and I knew it was because they wanted to ask us—or more specifically, order us—about doing something for them.

        "Are they holding university and college sessions for senior students at your school, Averylyn?" My mother asked.

        With all my years of being forced to tell the truth or else, I quickly found myself saying, "Yes, they are."

        It was only the first week of school, but things were busy for every senior student during their last year of high school. Representatives from various colleges and universities were coming to our school for information sessions on why they should attend their school.

        "Don't forget to attend the session for the University of Minnesota. Your mother and I know that they have a great accounting program there where you can get your degree in state," my father revealed, reading the morning newspaper without looking up at us.

        Anyone who signed up for each school's session was free to go, although I hadn't gone to any yet. I decided to keep my conversations with Mrs. Montgomery, Mel, and Wade in my mind when I made the decision to think about applying to schools in New York for English literature.

        Without even stopping myself, I said as a matter-of-fact, "Actually, I was looking into schools out of state."

        Everyone at the table looked at me with genuine surprise. My father lowered his newspaper, while my mother dramatically dropped her fork and knife on her plate with her mouth gaping open. Noah raised his eyebrows like he couldn't believe I was opposing what they wanted me to do.

        "Pardon me?" My mother replied as if I had yelled at her. "What made you get that idea into your head that you would know what's best for your future?"

        Ignoring her comment, I nonchalantly tried to go back to eating even though my hands were slightly trembling. "It would be good to look at other schools, too. I should be open-minded and willing to look at other options when thinking about my future."

        My father cleared his throat, going back to his newspaper as he said, "She's right. There may be even better schools out there than we thought. Those who are close-minded will never have what they need to succeed in life."

        My mother gave me a stern look, before straightening up in her seat and focusing her attention back to her breakfast. Noah and I gave each other a knowing look.

        "If Averylyn is going to those sessions, then I want you to bring Noah with you to the post-secondary school fair. It's time for him to start thinking about his academic career more seriously," my mother ordered, cutting up her toast in slight frustration with her fork scratching against the plate.

        Noah rolled his eyes, although I knew it wasn't because of me having to take him to the college and university fair at our school. He was only a freshman student, yet my mother spoke as if he was a careless senior student who didn't know what they wanted out of life.

        "Yes, I will," I politely replied, trying to get back on to their good side.

        After a few quiet moments, my father threw down his newspaper and sipped his coffee. Agitated, he said, "Avery, throw this paper into the garbage."

        Reaching over the newspaper, I turned it around and tried to examine it. I questioned him, "Is there something wrong with it?"

        "I don't want to see any of that... LGBT nonsense. I don't need it thrown in my face with all their talk about accepting homosexuals. Their talks about there being more than two genders is delusional. It's ruined my morning enough already," my father's voice boomed, as he shook his head in disapproval.