Chapter Twenty-Three

W A D E

Growing up, I always woke up early and excited to play hockey. Because of state championships, I woke up with a weird pit in my stomach just thinking about the semi-final game our school was playing.

Exhaling a deep breath I didn't know I was holding, I positioned my hockey bag's strap on my shoulder. It was only eight on a Saturday morning, but lots of people came in to make sure they'd be on time to watch the first game of the day.

If it wasn't obvious by the way I acted, the first game of the day included the Plainview Ice Wolves.

Giggles came from behind me when two arms wrapped around my stomach, while another pair wrapped around my stomach. Knowing they were my sisters, I tickled Audrey and Charlie which sent them into a laughing fit.

"Are you nervous?" Audrey curiously questioned, as we observed the stadium filled with hundreds of seats.

"Kinda," I nonchalantly responded, trying to shrug it off. "I'm more worried about you yelling at me from the sidelines."

Elbowing me by my side, Audrey jokingly rolled her eyes. "If you let me yell at you during practice, you should let me yell at you during games."

"You did yesterday during quarterfinals," I snickered, setting my gym bag down before picking Charlie up. "Besides, if you ruin my focus, how am I supposed to play well and make you guys proud?"

"But, you always make us proud in everything you do," Audrey stated, as a matter of fact while smiling up at me.

Bringing my arm around Audrey to pull her closer, Charlie wrapped her arms around my neck. I smiled to myself; how was I so lucky to have a family like mine?

"At least I know I'm doing a good job as your big brother," I chuckled, setting Charlie down on the ground. "You two, get going. Grandpa's already at our seats, I'll catch up with you later."

When I ruffled their hair, my sisters squirmed and shrieked. While walking to the arena entrance, I watched as they giggled and rushed towards Grandpa, who smiled and sent me a thumbs-up to say good luck.

As I grabbed my hockey bag and turned the other way, Avery walked towards me, dressed in a hoodie and black leggings with her hair up in a ponytail. I knew she agreed to come see my game, but a different feeling took over me when I saw Avery in front of me.

Avery was here and just by seeing her, I couldn't stop the smile making its way on my face.

"Hey, sorry I just got here. Mel accidentally locked the keys in the car, so Joey and I had to help her get it open," Avery explained, amused as she shook her head. "Doesn't the game start in half an hour? Why aren't you ready?"

"No, it doesn't start for another hour," I revealed, sheepishly smiling while rocking back and forth on my heels. "Sorry, I lied. I, uh... I just really wanted to see you."

Avery pressed her lips together and glanced down at the floor, trying to hide the smile on her face. Of course, it didn't work. Avery looked up at me with her smile growing even wider, making me softly chuckle.

"Well, I'm glad I came. I'm sorry I couldn't come to your games this week," Avery admitted, brushing strands of her hair on her ear. "Is it too late to join your cheering squad?"

"You're in time for semi-finals, anyway. So, I'll make an exception," I heavily sighed, before my mouth broke out into a crooked grin. "Only if you'll wear this."

Reaching into my gym bag, I pulled out my black hockey jersey with yellow and white details. On the back of it, the letters, "BRADLEY," were stitched at the top with my jersey number, twenty-four, underneath it.