Chapter Nineteen

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter deals with sensitive issues — including pregnancy complications, family matters regarding death, and pressure leading up to perfectionism. If you don't feel comfortable reading any of the issues listed above, please skip this chapter. I'll make sure to post a recap at the beginning of the next chapter for anyone who skips this :)

~ ~ ~

Chapter Nineteen

A V E R Y

If I said Wade and I were slowly forgetting what happened back at the Winter Formal Dance, I would be lying.

        In fact, they were the opposite; things were drastically getting worse.

        The last time Wade and I spoke to each other was at the dance. Considering that it was now January, it was an understatement to say we hadn't spoken in a while.

        During winter break, all I thought about was how this misunderstanding was my fault. What if I never trusted Rebecca and Natalie with my secrets? What if I never grew feelings for Wade?

        What if I never resolved the issues I had with Wade? What if I never became friends with Rebecca and Natalie? What if I never met Wade or even moved to Plainview?

        I already had my answer to each question: I wouldn't be in this situation.

        However, things could have definitely taken a different turn with Wade and I. If there wasn't a heavy snowstorm during the second week of January, I'm not sure where we would be today.

        Snowstorms in Minnesota were frequent sights, especially after winter break. Luckily for us, that usually meant horrible weather — with gusting winds and bone-chilling temperatures — which led to school being cancelled for days.

        A snowstorm with those conditions occurred on the second day back from winter break. Unfortunately for us, everyone was at school when the school was put on lockdown until the weather surpassed.

        Surprisingly from Willow and Ellie, this wasn't the first school lockdown because of the extreme weather. However, while finishing up homework, they mentioned that this was even worse than past years.

        Glancing up from where I was sitting in the cafeteria with Willow, Ellie, and the boys — excluding Wade — the scene in front of me was the same as it was hours ago. Unbelievably calm throughout the school, students and teachers were scattered in hallways or the cafeteria where we were as lights flickered on and off.

        Our whole table of friends was undoubtedly silent, with none of us being able to find the words to say as we uneasily scanned each other. We slowly lost contact after the dance, but we had all been friends for a while to try to fix things.

It became difficult to be around each other since the reason why we all stopped talking was because of the drama surrounding me and Wade.

        While Willow hesitantly attempted to break the tension, my eyes widened when I noticed Wade walking towards our table. As we locked eyes with each other, the cafeteria lights rapidly flickered before going off, leaving the room in darkness.

        "Would anyone like to look for flashlights in one of the English department classes?" Mrs. Montgomery's vibrant voice rang across the room, who was standing in the midst of it.

        With Wade slowly continuing to make his way toward our table, I abruptly stood up before navigating my way farther away from my friends and towards Mrs. Montgomery. Words couldn't explain how terrified I was to face Wade again. At least this task would serve as a distraction.