Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A V E R Y

My phone started blaring in my ears and I groaned, knowing that my alarm signalled that I had to get ready for school. My limbs and joints were sore from the countless push-ups and sit-ups we were required to follow in gym class the other day and my eyes struggled to open; the only thing I really desired was to get five minutes of extra sleep.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Noah barging inside my room. My vision was blurry from my deep sleep and the only thing I could see was a blurred, fainted figure in front of my door. If I was fully conscious, I would've scolded him and demanded he leave my room at the moment, but I wasn't really in the mood, since I had just woken up from a long night's sleep.

"I'm guessing you didn't see the 'Do Not Disturb' sign," I yawned, as I squinted my eyes to get a better look of him.

Noah crossed his arms and walked out of the room. "No, I saw it."

It's ironic because I was usually the one who was required to wake Noah up, not the other way around. I forced myself to get out of bed, even though I didn't want to go to school. No one dropped us off at school, so whether we were satisfied with the idea or not, we had to leave early if none of us wanted to be late. As a matter of fact, I tried my best to get out of bed, but for some reason, I fell on my back onto the soft mattress again. I groaned again; I was starting to get frustrated, thinking about having to head to school for six to seven hours again.

I grabbed my outfit from the inside of my closet, which I prepared the night before, and I quickly hurried to the bathroom to get ready. I hopped into the shower, and let the warm water revive my skin. Once I finished, I quickly tried to dry my hair and body as water dripped down from my head to my toes and then onto the ground. I put on what I usually wore: skinny jeans, a simple t-shirt, and a comfy sweatshirt. Most people would've thought it was lacking in style, but I felt comfortable in it, and that's what mattered to me.

I could hear the water running from the kitchen faucet and Noah washing the dishes, which probably meant that he had already eaten his breakfast. I plugged in the hair straightener, as I carefully brushed my dark brown hair with the comb. I picked up the straightener and glided it on the strands of my hair. I had naturally wavy hair, but it wasn't exactly the dreamy hair that everyone desired. In the morning, my hair was a tangled mess and it was hopeless for it to be incredibly thin without straightening it every once in a while.

Although sometimes, it was the hair I've always wanted, the silky texture of hair and the elegant waves in the strands of my hair; sometimes, it was actually the kind of hair that every girl would die to have. Just as I was finishing up, I felt my two fingers pressed against the hot iron. I quickly put the straightener down and hissed in pain, as I ran my fingers with cool water. After a few minutes, the pain slowly wore off, which was good news, except that it left a faint, throbbing pain and my fingers looking a shade of light crimson.

I exited the bathroom, rushing to pack an apple and some extra snacks into Noah's lunch into his backpack, while he finally got up and proceeded to enter the bathroom to brush his teeth. Although on most days, I usually brought my own lunch to school, but I figured I could finally buy something of my own in the cafeteria because if I didn't hurry up sooner, we were probably going to be late. I was praying there was some good food there.

As I ate a blueberry muffin in the process, Noah returned from the bathroom and resumed to watch his cartoons on the couch. I ran back to the bathroom, as I brushed my teeth. I took a look in the mirror to examine my appearance, then I stepped out of the bathroom and reached inside the closet for my brown trench coat.