The Foolproof Plan

Narrator

Now, the Scouting Legion had been through a lot while journeying outside the protection of the Walls for so long.  Those who are more experienced than the newest recruits are much better at adapting to new situations and circumstances.  Facing Titans requires skill, grit, and a whole lot of luck– something everyone knows, but can't really understand until they risk their own lives to do.  Despite this, the new recruits aren't the only ones who are confused by the new development during the Expedition.  Some of the squad leaders shoot alarmed looks at one another when the middle of the formation surges straight into the Forest of Giant Trees, with no attempts at communication with the rest of the groups.  All outer flanks are thrown off-course, and the smaller squads are forced to reside at the tree line, under their superior's orders. Standing in a couple of the highest branches of the trees are Armin Arlert and his friend, Mikasa Ackerman.  The blond feels a disturbing pull at his gut as the surrounding field remain devoid of any flares or signs of human life.  Titans claw at the trees far below, their eyes roaming from human to human in ravenous hunger.  Armin spots a few Abnormals a bit further back into the tree line, hiding themselves behind trees or simply laying on the ground, never moving and yet never taking their eyes off a single person they wish to devour.  The boy shivers as he spots a tall, brown-haired Abnormal sitting on the ground a few dozen meters away.  He swears he sees its eyes on him, but decides not to fuel his paranoia any further.

"Why do you think the Superiors decided to head here?" Armin asks Mikasa, his mind reeling with hundreds of questions as to what is really happening. It's obvious that it was the plan all along to head there, but the question is why?  Mikasa shakes her head, one of her hands set on her sword just in case.  She appears to be on high alert, but even she vent hide the confusion that causes a furrow in her expression.

Whiiiiiiiiinnng~

Both Armin and Mikasa slam their hands over their ears as the loud echo rings through the forest. The Titans all react in their own kind, growling and moaning at the sound assaulting their ears.  Armin notices that it sounds kind of like the sound flare that they had been learning about at the base.

Sound flare...

Something sparks within Armin's memory, something that he had held dear to him ever since his grandfather left.

Flashback

"Armin! Armin, come here for a moment!" A young boy bounces into the sitting room, where his grandfather sits in his favorite chair, something sitting face-down in his lap.  The little blond is curious, and asks,

   "What is it, grandpa?  And what's that?"  The old man smiles, and pats the arm of the chair.  Armin jumps up on the arm, since he is small enough to do so, and stares at the object with curiosity in his eyes.  His grandfather watches him for a moment, a fond smile curling his lips.  Such a curious soul...

   "Now, Armin,"  the man starts, and he flips over the book.  The younger studies the cover; it is blank, made of a dark brown leather, and the edges of the pages seem to be withered.  There are two words in barely legible print– The Guardian.  "This book is my prized possession, and after a little pondering I have decided to pass it down to you.  Armin, let me tell you– everything you will read in this book is true, no matter how crazy it sounds.  Always keep this information close to your heart Armin.  Promise me."  The little boy is now confused, and dying of curiosity to know what information the book contains.  Looking into his grandfather's eyes, he nods once.

   "I promise."

~~~~

After rereading the book his grandfather had given him twice, the boy is stoked. This 'Guardian' it speaks of is real?! If so, then why hasn't it been discovered? What about the Survey Corps? Have they discovered it? (And so on.)  Armin knows his friend, Eren, has wanted to join the Survey Corps ever since he was able to understand what they did, but will he be willing to listen to Armin if he tells Eren about this? The blond doesn't know, but he has to take the risk. He believes that if his friends know, they'll be curious as well, and they will be able to discuss it freely.

   And indeed they do.  Both Mikasa and Eren want to meet this 'Guardian' as much as Armin does.  The discovery only brings the friends closer together, and ultimately leads them to joining the Survey Corps in the future.

Flashback End

   Armin snaps out of the memory, a light sparking in his eyes as a plan starts forming in his head.  He nearly bounces up and down in his excitement as his plan mentally comes to fruition.

   "Mikasa!  That's it!"  The oriental turns to face him, confusion in her eyes.

   "What's it?"  Armin knows she'll disapprove in the beginning, but he has to get her help in order for the summoning to succeed.

   "You remember the book grandfather gave me?  About the Guardian?"   Mikasa nods, suspicion obvious in her stare.  Taking a deep breath, Armin finally lets his idea spill.  "Well, what if we summon it?  It may not be a very sturdy plan, but–"

   Rrrraaaaaaaoooooorrrrrrr!!!

   The teen is cut off by an earsplitting screech, one that sounds like it comes from the Female Titan.  Right after the roar ends, all the Titans gathered at the bases of the trees freeze, and Armin looks down over the side of the branch he perched on in alarm.  The monsters take a moment to fully remain still, and shock the humans when they collectively run in the direction of the roar's origin.  Armin isn't the only one who is highly confused and fearful of what their actions could mean for whoever is deeper in the Forest.  The boy turns toward Mikasa again, desperation in his eyes.

   "Mikasa, I told you the story, right?  You know I need your help to summon it– please, just help me."  Mikasa opens her mouth to object when she is cut off by two loud crashes and one loud roar.

   RRRROOOOOOOAAAAAARR!

   Eyes widening, Armin faces the sounds of loud destruction throughout the Forest– trees falling, animals scattering.  Even at the very edge of the Forest, whatever is happening shakes the very ground Armin and Mikasa's tree rooted itself in.

   "That sounded like–"

   "Eren."  Mikasa says, her voice lowering as the pieces click together in her mind.  She readies her gear to take off.  Armin desperately tries to stop her, the plan he cooked up seeming more and more as if it would succeed.

   "Wait, Mikasa!  Please, help me summon the Guardian!  It can help Eren!"  The girl freezes, having a mental debate with herself for a moment.  Sighing lightly, she turns towards Armin.

   "Alright, but it must be quick.  Eren transformed, and by the sound of his earlier roar, he seemed to be in a rage.  I must help him."  Armin nods, and recalls the procedure.

   "We'll need four sound flares, and two extra people–"

   "No problem.  The shorty must have fired the sound flare so he most likely has more, and Commander Erwin must be with him."  And with their only lead, Armin and Mikasa are flying through the forest, hoping against hope that they will make it in time to save everyone.