The Guardian

Armin

   As Mikasa and I fly through the forest, I think about how this would work out.  Obviously, the book stated that some sort of trial needed to be passed, but what could it be?  Someone before us must've passed the trial, for they lived to tell the tale, but who could that person be?

   "Armin!"  In response to Mikasa's shout, I look forward to see Squad Leader Hanji stomping around on the ground, arms crossed in obvious disappointment.  Commander Erwin was standing off to one side, talking with Captain Levi, a sour look on the latter's face.  Mikasa and I land on the ground a few meters away, and run up to the two.  I'm a bit winded, but the urgency and adrenaline pumping through my blood helps me regain my breath quickly.

   "Brats, what are you doing here?  You're supposed to be at the edge of the forest."  I can tell Mikasa is already fuming, so I step forward and answer,

   "Sir, we heard the sound flare earlier, and were wondering if you have any more?  Preferably 4?"  The Captain glares, and opens his mouth to reply,

   "Why would you need–"

   Crack.  

   Mikasa's eyes gleam with more desperation.  I suddenly know we have to take a big risk.  It may have been the adrenaline still fueling my desire to get the summoning over with and see where Eren is, but I find confidence within myself.  Breathing deeply, I look straight into the eyes of the Captain, and stand up to my full height.

   "Captain Levi Ackerman, it is urgent that you tell us if you have any more sound flares, and help us with the summoning.  Do you have more sound flares?"  Everyone stands in shock, except for Hanji who's still pouting a little ways away.  Commander Erwin interjects.

   "You say it is an urgent matter, Cadet?"  I face him, and nod as confidently as I can. 

   "It can help Eren if we work together!"  I add, holding my breath as Erwin seems to ponder my answer.  He then turns to speak to Levi.

   "Retrieve any more sound flares you may have, Levi."  Levi glares but says nothing, and walks stiffly over to a horse that stands at the base of one of the giant trees.  After pulling four cylinders out of a pack on the side of the saddle, he returns, and shoves them at me.  Relieved, I look up at the trees ringing the meadow, and deem this clearing big enough.

   "Mikasa.  Take a sound flare and stand up in that tree to the North.  Captain, please take this flare and fire on my signal in that tree to the West.  Commander?  Would you please fire from the tree to the South, and I'll fire from the East.  These shots need to be fired in quick succession, so right after I fire, I want Mikasa, then Captain Levi, then Commander Erwin to fire in quick succession.  Sound right?"  Mikasa nods and is off in a flash, followed by the Captain and finally, the Commander.  I am last.

   Once in position, I cover one ear, and see the others do the same.

3...

2...

1...

   "NOW!"  I fire my gun, and a loud ringing sound punctures the air, only growing louder when three other shots are fired in succession. It takes a moment for them to harmonize, but the sound produced is... beautiful.  Deafening, but beautiful.  The four shots fired cancel the ugly sound out and produce a tolling melody, like soft bells ringing in the wind.  The noise continues on for about thirty seconds, before fading into silence.  All four of us uncover our ears, and even the sounds of destruction from Eren fighting the Female Titan have somewhat subsided.

boom....

boom....

Boom....

Boom...
Boom...
Boom Boom boom
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

CRASH

   Something crashes through the surrounding forest, and stands crouched down in the middle of the small clearing ringed with trees.  Everything is still.  My heart stops as the creature straightens, facing me, and despite the fact that I'm in one of the higher branches in the tree, I am eye-to-eye with it– her.  Three seconds pass in complete and utter silence.

   RROOAARR!

Narrator

   The new Female opens her jaw wide and screeches right into the blond's face.  The sound makes Armin wither– but not for long.  He finds a way to steel his resolve, his mind producing him the feeling he had when he had to protect Eren, and he blooms once more.  Standing up straight, he looks straight at where he supposes the thing's eyes are.  Long bangs hang covering her eyes, and when she stops her terrifying roar to looked back down at the boy, she notices that he hasn't retreated from her fearsome show of dominance, but stands tall and determined.

   So, this boy's cause is that important...  The Female faces Armin seriously, hair still in her eyes, for they are her deadliest weapon.  Tilting her head to one side, the female studies the boy standing in front of her, and the blond takes the opportunity to observe her as well.

   Armin notices that the being emanates power just by standing, and knows that she isn't any ordinary Titan.  He realizes that she kind of looks like a Female version of the Armored Titan, with hard, tan plates covering certain areas of her body.  She has long, coal-black hair that hangs at an angle that covers her eyes, and she is at least a couple meters taller than Eren's Titan form.  He wonders what her eyes are like, but snaps out of his observation when he hears Mikasa's scream.

   "ARMIN!"  He hears her maneuvering gear connect to something, and doesn't even see her as she zooms up to the Titan's neck.  But then, the most extraordinary thing happened.  One moment the girl is flying through the air, and the next she is clamped tightly in the right hand of the Titan, being held in front of its face.

   The Female had stopped Mikasa's attack without even looking at her. 

   Armin knows then what he has to do.