[ 24 ] ride the wave

Skylar

I enjoy writing. I do, I mean, I enjoy the passion and drive that I have for it. I like having a interesting topic that I could develop into something bigger and better. I find it captivating to read something and have it make you want to reflect on your life or the way you treat people. But one thing I seriously didn't enjoy was the fifteen page essay I had to turn in for my Literature class tomorrow morning. I'd yet to start reading Edgar Allen's The Black Cat and I wasn't nearly half prepared for The Fall of the House of Usher.

But at least I was focused while watching Pretty Little Liars. I've been procrastinating, what can I say? I needed something to get my mind off the gut wrenching cramps I'd been having along with the churching growl of my stomach. I'd eaten two bowls of the last pack of Ramen Noodles that I had and the only thing left in my mini fridge was a bottle of ketchup and water. Lily and Maddie have yet to come back and I'd gotten worried at around six and texted them both.

Lily informed me that she'd be staying over at Claire's but I didn't get a reply from Maddie. I suspected that she's pretty heated right now so I decided to leave it at that.

My phone rings and I smile, thankful that God gave me another reason to betray doing my homework.

An unknown number appeared on the screen.

I answered it cautiously, lowering in my voice a little just in case it was a creeper.

"Hello?"

"Oh boys! You fellas stop this right now!" A familiar voice screeched. "Charlie! Put that down!" It was the voice of an old women, a tired and weary old women. Just as she sighed, I immediately knew who this was.

Fixing my voice, I spoke. "Ms. Lucie?" I questioned, even though I was sure this was her. But why was her number unknown? And was she screaming at my brother?

"Oh no, no, Chance leave those alone! Those are first edition classics!" For an old women, she sure had a mighty scream. I could hear my brothers giggles as they probably tore up her small library. Checking the time again, I wondered why they were even there. Granted, there were times when I'd stay late to help Ms. Lucie clean up and lock up and sadly, my dad dragged my twin brothers alone. But he'd never left Ms. Lucie alone with them before.

"Ms. Lucie?" I repeated and finally hearing my voice on the line, she turned her attention to me.

Just by hearing Ms. Lucie's voice, I felt like I was back home again. Her voice was so comforting and welcoming. "Oh, sweetie! Oh how I've missed you, my dearest!" She weeped and I could just imagine the smile that she wore on her face. Even at the age of seventy-one, Ms. Lucie was a beautiful blonde women with piercing blue eyes. She was super active and enjoyed wearing a beaded sun hat. Now that I think about, she did resemble Ryan more than I realized.

"I've missed you too, Ms. Lucie! How are you? Are my brothers with you? I hope they're not causing any trouble," I hate that I have to apologize for their behavior but hey, they're young boys.

Her voice was more cheerful than sad. "Oh no! These little two rascals have been helping me all day! They're wonderful help," her voice lowered a bit. "But between me and you, I've had to take two tablets to cure with their loudness,"

A laugh escaped my lips and i pushed my laptop away, giving my full attention to this conversation.

She continued speaking. "You haven't called me in a while dearest, your father has been filling me in though. Said you're doing splendid with your classes and you've even met a friend or two," she giggled lowly to herself. "I heard another thing from my grandson the other day, what's up with this, Sky? You've been hiding away from me, darling."