[ 30 ] love is respect

Skylar

When I was younger, I remember watching a lot of people walk in and out of my life. I remember not really knowing many people for long periods of time. I remember it just being the family: my mom. My dad, and my twin brothers. But it got weird after a while. I would watch people walk away from us and when they'd return, I never remembered them. It was like my mind was programmed to just wash away the people I couldn't trust. Or the people my parents didn't trust.

When alone, it was like a ghost time in my house. I never had close friends to rely on. I've never got into a huge fight with my cousins or distant family that I never knew. I knew could imagine someone walking out my life, and then just popping up again, unannounced and unwelcomed. But as I opened the door with shaking hands, I couldn't hold my bottom lip from falling. I couldn't hide the shock expression on my face as I stared at the one friend that left with no well reason or explanation.

But regardless of that, she didn't look bad. Her blonde hair was nicely set in curls so wavy and bouncy. Her picturesque eyes were shinning like diamonds, and the small smile on her face was apprehensive but stunning. I stared at her, unwilling to move or say a word. I couldn't believe after spending weeks away, that she of all people would be standing here outside of my dorm room.

"Skylar," She said, her voice shaky but I watched as she tried to straightened up and swallow hard. "I know I'm probably the least person you'd want to see right now but can we just talk? You don't have to let me in or anything if you don't want to, I just wanna talk." I don't think I've ever heard Maddie's voice this low and depleted.

I rubbed my leg against the back of my other leg, thinking about the decision to make. I won't lie and say that Maddie wasn't missed, because she truly was. But I'm not sure if Lily would be okay if she found out that Maddie came by and spoke to her. I'm not saying that Lily rules my every move, I just don't want her to be upset with me. But then again, this is Maddie, a friend that got caught up in personal things but decided to not explain to us why. I don't feel as though she needs to explain herself to me or whatever she's going through but I would like to know. I would like to know why she did what she did and what's the background of everything. And shutting down her request to talk would make me feel completely ridiculous afterwards.

"Come inside," I stepped aside, my eyes still wandering around her face as she slightly smiled and stepped closer. As she walked closer, I could see her face in HD vision and under her eyes were deep circles that I hadn't noticed before and the worry lines on her forehead seemed to crease as she looked around cautiously as she stepped in.

"Lily's not here?" She asked, just as I shut the door and spun around to her.

"No. Are you looking for her?" I questioned, my eyebrow slightly raised at her suspicious question.

"Oh, no. I just thought she'd be here," She walked to my bed and plopped down on it, kicking her shoes off in the process and connecting both of her palms together.

I took a seat at my desk's chair and faced her. "Have you spoken to her?"

Maddie's face rose and the tiniest frown ran across her face. "I have. We talked and I told her everything but she still feels as though I need to work on myself and my family issues," I nodded my head, because I truly didn't know what else to say. I didn't want to push her too far because I'm really not sure what's going through her mind these days. "So basically, I came here to tell you all about my past life and why I've done the things that I've done." I listened closely as I watched her swallow again and disconnect her eyes from mine.