6

As I was on my way home, I got a text from my mom asking to stop by Publix to buy a Hawaiian king bread roll and Butter Pecan ice cream. Funny how she could text me about what food to pick up, but couldn't text me herself to find out about dinner.

Why would she give my number out to some dude I barely even knew? I was her own daughter. That's such a dumb move, Mom.

She had a habit of asking me to run errands for her once I was out of school. Of course I'd always say yes. I was not trying to get put out of the house at seventeen. Even though we had money, my mom was just like any other black mother. She did not play games.

I drove down the busy street and stopped at a red light. I guess some people were on break at this time. Maybe Chad was being honest when he told me that. It was only 2:00. I'm just glad there wasn't any backed up traffic.

First 48 by Shy Glizzy came on from my AUX cord. I immediately blasted the music and rapped along like it was second nature. If you didn't know about Jefe, I always had to put someone on it, at least that. I was a very classy girl who listened to trap music. I loved it.

A green light finally appeared and I began to drive. Ten minutes later, I was walking through the Publix parking lot with my bag tapping at my hip. I grabbed the green mini hand basket that sat by the automatic doors and began my journey. It wasn't really crowded in here, which was a good thing because I didn't have enough patience for these people.

"Good afternoon Publix shoppers," a female voice began over the loud speaker.

"We are having a sale. Half-off on all milk, I repeat, half-off on all milk. Thank you."

I smiled to myself.

Oh my gosh, a sale. I could never pass up a sale. I learned that much from my mother. Even if it was just milk.

I walked into the dairy section and picked up two cartons of milk and placed them in my basket. I didn't even look at the price tag. Actually, I never looked at the price tag when I shopped. I just picked up the items and paid for them. I didn't care. I believe that was a habit that I had developed from my father because he did that all the time. I literally only paid attention if it had a huge sign saying 50% off, I mean I'm not dumb.

"Excuse me ma, but do you need some help shopping?"

I heard a slightly deep voice from behind me. I turned around and feasted my eyes upon the most handsome human being I have ever seen.

He was tall, about 6'3, chocolate skin, a gorgeous smile that helped show his pearly whites, a great body, dark brown eyes, a southern accent, and a decent amount of soft black hair sat on the top of his head followed by a freshly clean shaved edge.

I smiled and continued to shop. "Thanks but I got it." I replied, making no eye contact.

When he noticed that I wasn't turning around anytime soon, he stood next to me, forcing his presence into my eyesight. His tatted sleeves caught my eye almost immediately.

"Um, I didn't get your name." he said, sticking his hands into his pockets. Ooh he smells so good. I don't know what kind of cologne he was wearing, but it was definitely working.

I turned around once again to look at him, his eyes gazing into mine.

"I didn't get yours either, your point?"

He smirked and licked his lips.

"Aight," he began.

I folded my arms and forced away the fact that I wanted to blush. He didn't need to know that I was kind of feeling him.

"My name's Deondre, and you?" I took a breath.

"Nina." He smiled.

"Then nice to meet you, Nina."

This greeting seemed like deja vu.

"Nice to meet you too."
________________

Social media:
Instagram: neiarenee
Twitter: taneiartxo