7

I lied in my bed after I took a nice long shower. My mother was still at work and I had the house to myself. No surprise. I was watching Criminal Minds for the first time. It was so good. The fact that they can apply forensic psychology to crime scenes is beyond me. I wish I could do that.. maybe minor in forensics in college.

Now that I think about it, I can't really recall what I decided on doing when I graduated high school. I knew that I wanted to go to college, but what was I to study?

For some reason, I've been completely drawn to the medical field. Any and everything about that completely intrigued me, considering the fact that I was taking an anatomy class in high school and could practically name every bone in the body — or at least a decent amount of bones.

As I snuggled deeper in the covers, I held my phone close to my face, smiling as I read through Deondre and I's text messages. We exchanged numbers at Publix and I didn't think we would. At least I didn't think I would actually give him mine, I mean, I was a naturally unapproachable individual. It kind of threw me off guard when he spoke to me.

I can still remember the sound of his voice. How southern it was, grasping my attention in such a short amount of time. He stood over me with so much muscle, I'm sure he could have crushed me at any given time if he chose to.

Wait, why am I thinking about him crushing me? I should be thinking about..

Nevermind, it's way too early for all of that.

Deondre: Whats going on, ma?

Me: Nothing much, what about you?

Deondre: Well my boy is having this like, kick back later on tonight and I wanted to see if you'd go with me. He's gonna have tons of people and drinks?

I then received another text from him.

Deondre: Do you drink? If you don't that's cool too, I won't make you. There's non alcoholic there as well, baby girl.

How sweet of him to ask first. Glad he didn't just jump right in and assume.

Me: Well I'm not really a party person at all.. Do I have to go? And no I don't drink, only sometimes on rare occasions.

Deondre: I'll make sure to remember that, mama. And no you don't have to go, but I would really love it if you could. We could chill and get to know each other, if you're down :)

He's so nice, why would I not initially say yes?

Then again he's so nice, I wonder what his true intentions are.

Deondre: I'll come get you at nine. The party starts at 3. Just send me the addy.

I knew my mom was going to be home at eleven, but I mean, she wouldn't mind me staying out late. I'm seventeen, I'm almost grown.

Me: Ok.

I gave him my address and we agreed to go. I was excited to go to a party with Deondre, but I didn't really know him all that well and I was pretty sure I was going to be way out of my comfort zone. I guess there's a first time for everything.

I looked at the time on my phone. 3:43 PM.

I yawned and stuffed myself farther under the covers. I needed a nap.