My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 3}

A beam of sunlight was streaming through the open window in my bedroom, aimed directly on my left eye. Groaning, I tossed and turned, knowing I was far past sleeping any longer, but tried to prolong getting up.

            When I caught a whiff of bacon in the air, I hopped onto my feet, scrambling to untangle my ankles from the light blue sheets, nearly tripping and landing on my face; I ran down the stairs happily, joyful to see my brother made more than plenty pieces of bacon for the both of us.

            “How was your date last night?” I asked, reaching over and taking a piece of the crunchy bacon.

            Kyle shrugged. “Pretty good, I guess. She’s a really nice girl…”

            I sat down at a stool. “Uh oh—what happened?”

            He sneered at me. “What makes you think something happened?”

            “Because you aren’t raving about her.”

            Kyle’s eyes rolled a little as he made a face. “I told her I lived with my younger sister, and she lost interest.”

            I took another bacon strip. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

            “It’s okay.” He sighed, eating a piece of toast. “I’m going job searching today—you in?”

            “Naw. I’m going exploring, I think.”

            He raised an eyebrow. “With your friend from last night?”

            Rolling my eyes, I spoke. “No. In fact, I got lost and Jacob happened to be around—he just walked me home, that’s all.”

            Kyle was frowning. “I still don’t like the idea of you and boys.”

            “Sorry, but that’s inevitable.”

            He scoffed. “I have to approve of any boy before you start dating, okay?”

            I saluted him.

            “Okay,” he said with his mouth full, “I’m off. Have a good day—don’t forget to lock the doors. And, please, don’t get lost.”

            “Yeah, yeah.” I muttered in a patronizing tone. “Good luck.”

            He grabbed his keys and a sweater, and was out the door in a flash.

            Of course, as soon as he was out of sight, I grabbed my keys, running out the door—after making sure it was locked—and walking around aimlessly.