My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 9}

Light snowflakes were falling all around us as we walked down the dark street; the only light was the dim glow from the flickering streetlight. The snow melted as soon as it hit the ground; in a matter of months, it would be all frosty and icy outside.

            Jacob and I were walking down the street, not headed anywhere in particular. We were talking about when I first started to like him—he brought it up, and was forcing me to answer him—which really embarrassed me.

            “Aw, c’mon, Summer! Don’t be shy.” He laughed a little. “Was it when we were playing chess in your room?”

            I rolled my eyes, flashing him a stern glare. “You’re a terrible person—and I already told you, I don’t know when I started to like you, I just do!”

            Jacob didn’t look down at me, and just stared forward as he grinned. “You know, I liked you from day one.”

            “As if.”

            “No, really!” He snorted, turning to look at me; his lips were spread into a goofy grin. “There’s just something irresistible to a girl who thinks you’re a perv and tries to scare you off by saying she knows taekwondo.”

            I slapped my face, embarrassed. “Can we not relive that night?”

            Jake snorted. “Too bad.” He continued on with the story. “And then you tried to fend me off with a tree branch—that was funny.”

            My cheeks burnt hot. “Ugh. This is embarrassing.”

            Jacob continued ranting off ‘funny’ things from that night. “…and you thought I was gonna stalk you…”

            I drowned him out, then interrupted him abruptly. “You know, Jacob,” I said, my tone dark. “This isn’t really helping you woo me.”

            His nose crinkled. “Shit. I forgot.” Then, Jacob sighed. “That’s okay—I’d rather make fun of you than woo you.”

            And then he continued to talk about that night. I zoned out, not listening to him manage out sentences between roars of laughter; I closed my eyes, so embarrassed I could punch myself.

            A howl ripped through the cool air; Jacob froze, his body going rigid, and his arms began to shake furiously.

            “Jake? Jacob!” I cried, my eyes wide, grabbing onto his arm, trying to calm him down. “What’s wrong?”

            “Vampire.” He spat, his voice filled with disgust.

            “It’s here?

            He nodded once, still rigid. Jake’s eyes trailed down to me, then snapped up to the tree line; I squinted, trying to see what was so intriguing.