My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 12}

SUMMER’S POINT OF VIEW:

            I must have fallen asleep; when I awoke, I could hear familiar voices speaking loudly, as if to an audience.

            I blinked a couple times, narrowing my eyes, trying to focus on the person speaking to the trees; I recognized Jasper—one of the Cullen’s—strolling around as he spoke, a nervous edge on his tongue.

            “Newborns are not like our kind—they rely on pure instinct; no knowledge courses through their mind when attacking.” He continued on as I glanced around, unsure where I was.

            There was a cool chill in the breeze, but I was completely warm; I leaned on my arms, feeling some fur rub against my elbow. With a gasp, I glanced back, recognizing a familiar wolf laying behind me, his brown eyes watching me with amusement. It’s tongue lolled out to the side, flashing me a goofy grin.

            I mock punched the wolf’s leg. “You’re such a jerk,” I whispered quietly, giggling.

            The wolf’s large head tilted forward, and its long tongue flashed out, licking the side of my face.

            With a squeal, I wiped the wolf slobber off my cheek. “Eww,” I mumbled, rubbing my sleeve on Jacob’s tail, “Gross, Jake.”

            A weird kind of snort escaped the wolf’s mouth, and it sounded like a chuckle; I laughed in reply.

            “Save the kisses until you phase back, please?”

            The wolf grumbled to itself, obviously unhappy with my command. Then, it lifted it’s head up to look at the dark trees; I noticed that there were glowing eyes high above the ground. I instantly clicked in, realizing there were wolves there; Jasper was explaining how to kill a vampire newborn, like they had been planning.

            And then, the fear set in again.

            Even though I hardly knew them, I couldn’t bare having one of the Cullen’s die; already, they seemed like family to me, saving my life and treating me so well.

            If any of the wolves died—Well, to be honest, I don’t think I could handle that. Any of Jacob’s pack members, dying to protect me, would leave me so guilty…and if Jacob were the one to die…

            I shuddered, the thought making every nerve in my body tingle with fear.

            No, Jacob couldn’t die. He just couldn’t.

            I glanced up, noticing some quick movements in my peripheral vision; Jasper and Alice were standing, facing each other.

            Jasper flew forward, to where Alice had been standing—but she was now standing one step to the left. This repeated itself, over and over, until Alice disappeared completely; she flew down from the tree tops, landing on Jasper’s back.