Chapter 17

Katy's POV

When our shopping trip ended, I couldn't have been happier. I was so scared that Mrs. Hall was suspicious of Jordan and I. I also was not sure that I could've handled any more of my mom's snide comments and rude attitude. 

Mrs. Hall dropped us off at the front door, telling us that she had to go get her hair done for the fundraiser. I waved as she drove away. As soon as her car was out of sight, I opened the door. The house was unlocked since Carter and Dad were there and didn't have keys to get back in if they decided to leave. I marched straight through the house and up the stairs, carrying my shopping bags with me. I dropped them on my floor and dove onto my bed. "Argh!" I yelled into the pillows.

I rolled over onto my back, staring at the ceiling. I had thought I was doing the right thing by letting my family stay with me, but at the point I wasn't so sure. They hadn't even been there for twenty-four hours and I wanted to pull out my hair! They were driving me insane with their rudeness and lack of gratitude. Maybe I did the wrong thing, I thought.

I glanced at the clock and realized that it was already five PM. I decided to go ahead and do my hair and makeup, so that all I would have to do when Jordan got home was slip on my dress. I scrubbed off the makeup I had put on that morning, and started from scratch.

I took my time, making sure every detail of my makeup was the epitome of perfection. I spent a full hour on my "war paint" as one of my friends called it. (She had said that when we left the safe abode of our homes, we needed to be armed for any type of battle we faced, starting with makeup. Funny, right? I never bought into it, but each time I was doing eyeliner, I remembered that and it would make me laugh. Lame, yes, but also very amusing.)

I heard Jordan's truck pulling into the garage. Have I mentioned how much I liked his truck? It was all jacked up on an awesome lift kit, had chrome accessories, and mud tires. Though I wasn't really a country girl or anything, I could still appreciate a nice truck. I thought about the way Jordan looked in that truck...he looked so hot! Actually, Jordan looked hot no matter what.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! What in the world? It's just attraction. Can't be helped. Okay, moving on....

I heard the back door slam and the sound of Jordan's boots clomping against the tile floor of the kitchen. I expected to hear his footsteps coming up the stairs, but instead I heard him shout "What the heck?!"

A measure of eerie silence followed, making me nervous. After a few moments, I decided to go downstairs and see what was going on. I walked into the den to see Jordan and Carter facing each other, menacing glares on both of their faces. I started to ask what the problem was, when a sickly smell permeated the air. "Carter," I said slowly. "What is in your hand?"

He glared at me. "Shut up, sis, and let your husband handle this."

"I swear, Carter," I shouted. "What is your issue? I lay down a few simple rules for you to follow while you're staying in my house, and you can't even adhere to them?!" I was so angry. I walked over and snatched the beer and cigarettes out of his hand.

Anger burned in Jordan's eyes, I noticed when I looked at him. His hair was windblown, tossed around from spending a day outside working on the jobsites with his crews, rather than doing office work. His t-shirt bearing the company name clung to him, slightly dirty. His jeans had mud and grass stains--that was to be expected though, considering his occupation was lawn care and landscaping. Though I noticed that he looked hot, the dirt just adding to his appeal, I took more notice of his taut facial expression.