Chapter 21

Katy's POV

I quickened my step as I slammed the office door closed behing me. Tears pricked my eyes. I walked into the kitchen and starting opening and closing the cabinets, searching for something--anything--to distract me or keep me busy. "Gah!" I said. I leaned my head against the cabinets. I banged my forehead against it once.

"Katy!" Jordan called. I heard his foorsteps on our wooden floor. "Katy? Where are you?"

A childish side of me wanted to run away and hide, but the mature part of me made me stay put. I didn't answer, but I didn't leave the kitchen. I waited, hesitant. Carter looked up at me. I had forgotten he was even in the room. "What's going on, Katy?" he asked. For the first time ever, my brother seemed sincere and caring.

"It's just...nothing," I said. He cocked an eyebrow. "Okay, Jordan's ex-fiance is here."

"What? You mean that fine-behind little shawty? Man, she is one hot little mama," he said.

“Carter!” I said. “You’re supposed to be on my side, remember?” I huffed with impatience. “You know what? I’m so not in the mood for this. I’m leaving. And don’t you dare tell Jordan.” I grabbed my car keys and purse. I was making my grand exit from the kitchen when I felt a hand on my shoulder. “What!?” I said, swiveling to meet my opponent.

Jordan looked at me, begging me with his brilliantly green eyes. I knew he wanted to talk to me, but I was hurting. “Katy, wait,” he said.

“Please don’t touch me,” I said. “Just…just let me go.” My voice cracked on the last word.

“No, please, Katy, no,” Jordan protested. He put both hands on my shoulders.

I was about to respond when an annoying voice cut in. “Jordan?”

“Khiana, not now,” Jordan said, pointed at her as though to silence her.

“No,” I said. “Talk to her now. All you want. Because I don’t care. I am leaving. And don’t try to stop me, because nothing you say right now will.” I met Khiana’s eyes and spoke directly to her. “Are you happy now?”

She blinked innocently. “What are you talking about?” she said.

“Forget it,” I said. I threw Jordan’s hands off my shoulders and turned away. I walked out the door, not once looking back. I heard his pleas for me to stay and listen but ignored them. I got in my car and slammed the door. I shakily put the keys in the ignition. As soon as I heard the engine come to life, I backed out of the garage, fleeing from my home.

I wasn't sure where I was going. I felt numb. A few tears trickled down my cheeks as I drove aimlessly. My phone beeped twice, loudly, making me jump. I had completely forgotten that it was in my back pocket. The first name that popped up in a text message was from Jordan. I ignored it, glancing up at the road to make sure I wasn't about to crash before I checked the next text. The name on the screen spelled out Carter. I clicked 'view now' to read his message.