The Diver - Marco x Reader (Modern AU)

Marco P.O.V
December 28th. My stomach had some turkey leftover I ate for dinner. As much as I love turkey, eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner till mid January sounded like a challenge itself. An inevitable challenge, every year.

We were running through the wet pavements at the lonely streets of New York. It was 4 am and the only thing keeping us company were the yellow cabs with their cynical riders. I swear it was 2 am, just a minute ago, and I swear we were discussing about new years' resolution when all of a sudden, y/n and I started sprinting against slippery grounds.

"Discovering 30 new bands." She declared as her official resolution.

"Why not stick with the current ones? Not sufficient?" I asked.

"I bet there're 30 bands somewhere that definitely deserve more recognition. And guess what, I'm finding them."

"Oh. So, now your job's to bring justice to every living soul inhabiting earth?"

She stared/glared at me with those lethargic eyes, before beckoning me with her hands and by then we were vulnerable to the winter breeze.

"Where are we going?" I asked, blindly following her.

"We're going to grant our wishes. Well, mine at least." She stopped ahead of a building, a nice bricked one with windows small enough to only stick your head out.

I followed her to the back and climbed the set of emergency stairs without bothering to fill the silence. Of course I was puzzled by what she meant with granting wishes, but the year was about to end and my head was not up to creating any more questions till next year. I'll let god take over the next few days and see what he gets me by January 1st.

Y/n grunted as she reached the rooftop at a loss of air, her hair sticking to her cheeks. And damn was she right, this could grant anybody's wish with its own authentic and unreal view. You could see everything. While the city became vulnerable and naked to my eyes all I could do was blink and breathe.

"Marco?" She whispered, her breath hitting my chin as she looked up.

"Yeah?"

"I really want to finish telling you my resolutions."

"Yeah." I could hear some music from the apartment downstairs. I couldn't ask for more, but I was given more.

"Mom's sending me over to the UK."

"Yeah." My mind was shut. I wasn't processing her words, too blinded by the scenery standing ahead of me. Perhaps she knew I'd be entranced by this, so she took her time confessing herself to me while all I did was ignore her.

"Dad's forcing me to start prepping for med school."

"Yeah." She was smiling, so I assumed it was all good.

"My next year's resolution," she walked forwards, taking a seat on the ledge of the roof counter, "is to take over control."

I looked over at her again, her body embraced by a red dress. She was beautiful. She was becoming vulnerable and naked for me, and I only started realizing it, "Marco, I'm tired."

"Then let's go home." I could see the brim of her eyes getting wet.

She stood up and started walking above the ledge, her dress scraping her knees as she hummed along to the music fainted behind us.

"I love you, y/n. Please get down." She was still in front of me, but for some reason I felt the need of bidding her goodbye.

"Then help me grant my wish?"

"What is it?"

"Just countdown from three," she was facing me, her eyes barely visible because they didn't want to be seen.

"Three," she blew me a kiss.

"Two," she opened her arms.

And I started sprinting towards her, my hands open and ready to grasp her legs. No, I wouldn't let her go. No, I wouldn't let her jump off that ledge. Because after all, I wanted her here with me. Because I was selfish and certain that I could make her happy too.

"One and go!" She yelled, her feet hopping as her body leaned back.

"Y/n!"

I looked down and saw her dress floating, flapping against the wind. She kept falling and falling and she still is in my worst nightmares and best dreams.

+++

Okay, so if you were lost while reading this pls consider the following:

- italics means it's a flashback

- when I used the term 'naked' it didn't mean getting undressed or any of that sh*t. It meant to strip down from all your false identities and reveal your 'true self'.

Yeah, this one's a little depressing, but it feels important to me. I'd totally write the meaning of this one-shot, but ehhh it feels like I'm being a nuisance being all sentimental and sh*t.

I know this was really small, so I apologize. BUT HEY, finally a MARCO one-shot. And he doesnt diefhbvghn