8.

Chapter 8.

"Pick one. Would you rather have a rich-ugly boyfriend, or a hot-poor boyfriend?" I asked, popping another grape into my mouth. Kelsey and I were playing Would you rather in studyhall--boyfriend edition.

Kelsey tapped her pencil on the table as she contemplated the choices. "Hmm. That's a good one. I think hot and poor is the better option. I mean, don't get me wrong, money can be good. But a lot of times, rich guys are obnoxious snobs, and poor people tend to be nicer."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Stereotype much?"

Kelsey shrugged. "Just sayin'."

I rolled my eyes and picked up another grape. "It's your turn."

"My turn?" a familiar voice asked with amusement. "What game are we playing?"

My heart skipped a beat as I looked over at Kelsey. Please tell me it's not who it sounds like. Please tell me it's not who it sounds like.

Kelsey rolled her eyes. "Can we help you two with something?"

For a second, a glint of annoyance and hatred filled Kelsey's eyes, and she looked down at her folder to pull something out.

Two?

I turned to see that Luke and his girlfriend had sat down to the right of me and across from Kelsey. Madison looked like she was already bored with the conversation, even though it hadn't even really started. Luke looked as cocky and laid back as he always was. Except for yesterday in the car. I gulped. I needed to forget about that.

"What's wrong with you Kels? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed again?" Luke teased, a smug grin on his lips.

Kelsey arched an eyebrow at him, her face stony. "Don't push me Carters. I'm not in the mood."

Madison barked a short laugh, drawing our attention back to her. Kelsey glared hostilely at her. I had never seen her so angry; it was almost explosive.

"Is there something you wanted to say to me, Madison?" Kelsey asked in a cold, controlled tone. She was so angry I thought I might see steam come out of her ears.

I looked over at Luke nervously. Did Kelsey really hate Madison that much? I didn't know her that well, but Madison hadn't done anything that bad. At least, nothing I knew about. The only thing Madison had done was laugh. Which was rude, but not worth getting that worked up about.

"Oh, no," Madison said sweetly, a clearly fake smile on her face. "I just find it funny that you're always in a bad mood. You know what coach always says Kels: a cheerleader is supposed to be peppy."

"Oh, how funny," Kelsey snapped. "Then what happened to you?"

Luke laughed uncomfortably. "Okay you two, I think we get it. You guys don't like each other." He turned towards Madison, whispering something in her ear. I felt like a knife had been thrust in my gut. Why couldn't that be me?

"Okay. Be quick," she said sweetly, a sincere smile on her face. It was the first time I had seen Madison look affectionate. The way she looked at Luke made my heart melt. It was so cute. And it made me feel guilty. Seriously, what kind of awful person was I, that I wanted to break up this cute couple so that I could date Luke? I didn't just want a relationship like theirs. I wanted Madison's relationship with Luke, and for the first time, I understood how petty that was.

Luke nodded, smiling at Madison before leaning towards her and planting a soft, gentle kiss on her lips. For half a second, I imagined he was kissing me. Then I shut down that daydream and took a deep breath. No. Luke was taken. I needed to find a guy who was actually available to drool over.