24.

Chapter 24.

The next day at school, I was really distracted thinking about the whole wedding thing. What was I supposed to do? Conjure a guy out of thin air? I couldn't just ask Dylan. It would be too weird. And it wasn't like Luke and I were going to magically hook up either.

"Did you know that you can cure a headache by pressing half a lime to your forehead?" Nixi asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I raised an eyebrow at her. Pressing a lime to your forehead magically got rid of a headache? Why didn't I believe that? "Uh huh. Who told you that, exactly?"

"Instagram. It was on Facts Instagram page," she responded without bothering to look up from her phone.

I laughed lightly. "I wouldn't know," I said, "since I don't have Instagram."

Nixi looked up, seemingly shocked. "Really?" she asked. "I thought everyone had Instagram."

I held up my old slider. "Not me," I reminded her. "My dad won't let me have a smartphone."

"But...how do you live?" she asked.

I smiled at her concerned expression. "Not all of us spend life glued to a smartphone, Nixi. What are you doing on there, anyways?" I asked, moving to grab her phone.

To my surprise, she blushed and hid her phone away. "Nothing," she said. "Just texting."

"Who?" I pressed. "Is it a guy? Is he cute?"

Nixi giggled uncomfortably, and I knew she was busted. "I knew it!" I said. "Who is he? Come on, I need details."

"It's just some guy I met. He's a junior, like me. He plays football."

I smirked. "Is he cute? Do you have a picture?"

Nixi blushed. "He's super cute. And no, I don't have a picture. There's nothing to tell, yet. I'll let you know if something changes."

I shrugged. Nixi was acting a little weird, but I wasn't going to make an issue of it. If she didn't want to share any details about her new crush, I couldn't exactly make her. Waving goodbye, I headed towards my next class, which was study hall.

Since I had gotten all of my science homework done at the game, I had nothing to do but study with Madison. My makeup test was set for next Wednesday, and I needed to make sure I passed it. Otherwise, I was afraid to think what my dad would do.

"So what do you need to work on today?" Madison asked, setting her stuff down on the table and sitting in the chair across from me.

I pulled out my completed science homework. "I worked on this last night while I was waiting for my dad's practice to end. Can you just glance it over and make sure I have the right idea."

Madison wordlessly took the worksheet and read over it. "Nice job," she said finally. "It seems like you're really getting the hang of it."

I smiled. I had better be. I'd spent enough time studying recently. More than I had ever studied in my life, in fact. "Thanks. I've been working really hard on it."

Madison pulled out a stack of flashcards. "I thought we could do some review for your test next week," she said.

We cycled through the cards, and I only got tripped up on a couple of them. After 20 minutes or so, Madison put the cards down. "I think you're ready," she assured me. "You shouldn't have any trouble passing. You've got a pretty good handle on the material now."

She started to pick up her bag to leave, but I stopped her. "Madison...can I ask you something?"

"What's up?"